Honey gourami breeding questions.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

QiQi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So…uhm… This happened…
After my betta passed away I decided to get a pair of honey gouramis (wild colouration) for my main 18gal and keep the small planted tank for the next potential betta.
The honeys are in the quarantine tank atm, they look super healthy. The male is on full breeding dressing atm, very vibrant colours and full black stripe. He is making a bubble nest in the QT and the female looks bigger.

What do I do if these guys spawn in the QT?
Do I keep them in there if they spawn, do I risk and move them in the main tank since they look really healthy or do I put them in the 5gal for the rest of the quarantine time even if it is small for the 2 of them?

Would Hikari first bites or liquifry No1 be okay for the fry if they spawn till they are big enough to eat BBS and microworms?
How many times should I feed and how much?
Water changes? How often and how much?

Honestly I knew they would spawn in some point and prepare for it slowly, but I didn't expect them to show signs in 28 hours...

Hello :)
To be sure of what you call "wild coloration" can you provide pics please ?
What's temp ?

Eggs hatch within 24-36 hours.
Fry remains in or close to bubble nest around 5 days before it become free swimming.
Let them in QT.

Last edited:
Best way to feed fry is brine shrimp (artemia nauplies). Moving preys sharpen fry appetite.

To be sure of what you call "wild coloration" can you provide pics please ?
I turned the lights off so I can't take pictures right now, so I will provide web pictures of their colours.
Honey Gourami 1.jpg

What's temp ?
Temp is 26 Celcius.
Let them in QT.
I was asking if I should move the adults, so they dont eat the eggs.
Best way to feed fry is brine shrimp (artemia nauplies).
I read that they are too small to eat BBS till they are 2 weeks old. Is that true?

Ok these are TROCHOGASTER CHUNA (sometimes SOTA).
Usually, I mean if well feed they don't eat eggs.fry but protect them.
Fry can feed on plants the first days. After that live brine shrimp, infusorias... or fry powder if they like it.

Great, thank you for the help!

It is just a glass 10gal bare bottom with a seeded sponge filter, heater and a couple of hides.

Did you see dark horizontal bar on each side of female ?
Did you see them spawn ?

So keep a close eye on them. You could add some floating plants.

Update: I added some floating plants. His bubble nest is small and messy, maybe he is young and doesn't know how to make a proper one yet?? He moves the bubble nest under the leaves now and I noticed some bubbles are more opaque. Could these be eggs?

Update:I added some floating plants.
??
His bubble nest is small and messy, maybe he is young and doesn't know how to make a proper one yet?? He moves the bubble nest under the leaves now and I noticed some bubbles are more opaque.
Probably because the female first built the nest that male increased nest size afterward.
QiQi said:
Could these be eggs?
Maybe... a picture would be more expressive ;)

He is just putting a few bubbles in each leaf ??. I don't know if that's what they are supposed to do but the bubble best doesn't look like the ones my Betta was making. These are the best pictures I could take since he doesn't stand still. Even before I added the floaters, there were tiny bubble nests scattered around and now he moved them under the leaves. I added a floating ring too in case he prefers it
IMG_20210502_153458761.jpg
IMG_20210502_160206059~2.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back