Honey Gourami and nepheline syenite pool filter sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gel

Reaction score
Hello :)

I added nepheline syenite pool filter sand to my aquarium a few weeks ago.

I use remineralized reverse osmosis water but my GH was never as high as it is now. The only recent change was the addition of nepheline syenite pool filter sand so I suspect the high GH is due to this addition.

I realize that liquid test kits are more precise. I am however using two different brands of test strips to test my water and corroborate the results.

Here are my rough readings:
pH 6.2-6.4
KH 20ish ppm
GH 300ish ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 30ish ppm (I liquid fertilize)

I understand that GH and pH are not to be confused but that generally, water that has a high GH is usually higher in pH.

The aquarium is mainly focused around Honey Gouramis (Trichogaster chuna).

I understand that fish that are as commonly captive bred as Honey Gouramis are adaptable to water parameters but I'd like to replicate (as much as possible) the parameters of their natural habitats.

My questions:

Will the Honey Gouramis thrive in my aquarium water parameters?

Will aquatic plants thrive in my aquarium water parameters?

Will the hardness be reduced over time with water changes or will it always bounce back to 300 ppm with nepheline syenite pool filter sand?

How is the GH so high but the pH so low?

Are Honey Gouramis sometimes found in environments with high GH but low pH? Some sources say they are found in mineral deficient, soft water but some sources don't specifically mention it and some say they are found in different types of waterways.

Should I slowly change out the nepheline syenite pool filter sand with silica pool filter sand?

Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back