Honest opinions on my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
4pm ET (US) August 5th or when there are ten entries

Uff, unfortunately, I will have to wait for the next possible entry then 🤣 my birthday was August. 5th, so we had alot of stress going on, plus a fly infestation in the kitchen I've been taking care of the first days of August 🙈

I'm sure another opportunity will come along 🙃

On the other side, I'm PRETTY SURE I will buy another tank 🤣I found a tank online, 90-115 liter, with pump and accessories for 20 bucks, imma take that for my Buenos Aires tetra and get him some friends, then I don't have to rehome him anymore ( I'm very fond of him, he has warmed up ALOT and has become less shy, he seems like a very healthy fish!)

Uff, unfortunately, I will have to wait for the next possible entry then 🤣 my birthday was August. 5th, so we had alot of stress going on, plus a fly infestation in the kitchen I've been taking care of the first days of August 🙈

I'm sure another opportunity will come along 🙃

On the other side, I'm PRETTY SURE I will buy another tank 🤣I found a tank online, 90-115 liter, with pump and accessories for 20 bucks, imma take that for my Buenos Aires tetra and get him some friends, then I don't have to rehome him anymore ( I'm very fond of him, he has warmed up ALOT and has become less shy, he seems like a very healthy fish!)
OML the flies these days are HORRIBLE! We are not gross people and het somehow we always have about 3-5 flies centralized in the kitchen... They don't shoo away either. They keep coming back and going all in your face. It drives me crazy!

That's awesome you found a nice tank for the tetras!!! Good on you for doing that! Keep us updated @Couwu!

Yes, the flies are HELL! WE by NO MEANS are unclean either, but our apartment is very badly isolated and especially the kitchen gets very humid and hot. Somehow, a fly got into our plastic trash, and before you knew it, we had 60+ flies on the windows 😭 horrible.

So I took the kitchen apart and found alot of eggs hidden under trashcan, plants, cupboards etc 🙃 after a few days of THOUROUGH cleaning, no more flies!

And I deffinilty will kepp yall updated!
Just did a waterchnage in my two tanks, the fish are doing great! And I just made an appointment to Pic up the new tank 😄 ( super deal, 20 bucks for everything includes filter etc, the filter online costs 108 Euro 👀 it's a jbl crystalprofi greeline e701)
VERY excited!!

Ofc I will let the tnak cycle first for a few weeks before getting more tetras and putting mine in! I will. Show it when I get it <3

( on the other sidd, the plants I bought recently for my main Nak have been growing TREMENDOUSLY, one specific species grows so fast, I already cut parts of it off and planted them into the tetras tank, and one of those snippets is already tall enough to touch the water surface 😁 so I don't think i will have to worry about getting too many plants for the new tank!

Just stillt rting to figure out where to put the tank! ( my bf knows nothing yet of my plans lol)

I was contemplating:
- behind our bed
- where the quarantine tank is right now ( beside our bed)
- hallway ( although a bit small and would have to Figure out ow to get electricity there, but would be possible)
- cat room ( we are relocating my closet, so a huge empty wall would be left, I could place it there [ and my cats are no problem, they really enjoy looking at the other two tanks and leave the fish perfectly alone, Mos rof the time xD the fish in my main tnak do occasionally seem to play with my cats, when the cats sits at the tank, they will swim up to the cat and in its face, when the cat touches the Glas with its paw, the fish will move just a bit to the side to look at the cat again xD)

PS. My Gras starter doesn't seem to have done that well, I cna only find a few very small pieces left, og well xD maybe I'll try again with moss sometime or retry in my quarantine tnak, when it's empty!

Last edited:
20220809_143631.jpg

I have a reddish plant in there further in the back, i notice you don't see it at all in this Pic, perhaps when it gets a bit bigger xD ( it's also on the left side on the middle stone here. The top of the leaves are fairly green, but the button of the leaves are a beautiful red)

Attachments

• 20220809_143608.jpg
    20220809_143608.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 37
Yes, the flies are HELL! WE by NO MEANS are unclean either, but our apartment is very badly isolated and especially the kitchen gets very humid and hot. Somehow, a fly got into our plastic trash, and before you knew it, we had 60+ flies on the windows 😭 horrible.

So I took the kitchen apart and found alot of eggs hidden under trashcan, plants, cupboards etc 🙃 after a few days of THOUROUGH cleaning, no more flies!
Dang! Maybe we should do the same lol....
That is gross (not on you guys) that there were eggs under stuff and in things... Why can't flies do their business elsewhere....

And I deffinilty will kepp yall updated!
Just did a waterchnage in my two tanks, the fish are doing great! And I just made an appointment to Pic up the new tank 😄 ( super deal, 20 bucks for everything includes filter etc, the filter online costs 108 Euro 👀 it's a jbl crystalprofi greeline e701)
VERY excited!!
Sounds like an amazing deal! Glad you were able to snag it!
Hopefully the tetra appreciates it 😂

Ofc I will let the tnak cycle first for a few weeks before getting more tetras and putting mine in! I will. Show it when I get it <3
Just wondering, how do you plan on cycling it? With lots of plants? Or by adding contained doses of ammonia?
Just stillt rting to figure out where to put the tank! ( my bf knows nothing yet of my plans lol)
I like the beside the bed idea or in the cat room! Idk how big your apartment is yet alone the width of the hallway but most any apartment hallway I've seen is fairly tight. So my opinion is that the hallway isn't the best option but that's up to you where you place it.
Just keep it out of direct sunlight, stay close to an outlet of some sort, and make sure it can actually fit in the place you want!

View attachment 164580
I have a reddish plant in there further in the back, i notice you don't see it at all in this Pic, perhaps when it gets a bit bigger xD ( it's also on the left side on the middle stone here. The top of the leaves are fairly green, but the button of the leaves are a beautiful red)
I love how the plants have grown in!! Looks really nice!

Dang! Maybe we should do the same lol....
That is gross (not on you guys) that there were eggs under stuff and in things... Why can't flies do their business elsewhere....
Flies can be such nasty creatures
Just wondering, how do you plan on cycling it? With lots of plants? Or by adding contained doses of ammonia?

That is a good question, I was going to ask what the best way of doing it would be!
For my main tank, I didn't really have to pay too much attention to it, the water was already cylced when I got it, and even after, I still didn't have fish in it for the first few weeks / months! Just 2 big plants.

Should I add some plants to the new tank to help it cycle? Does adding the water from the cycled tanks during water changes help in any way? ( as I am sure it also carries the good bakteria?)

How does one add Contained amount sof ammonia, is that something you can do with already existing tanks or is that some filtration media you can/should buy?
I like the beside the bed idea or in the cat room! Idk how big your apartment is yet alone the width of the hallway but most any apartment hallway I've seen is fairly tight. So my opinion is that the hallway isn't the best option but that's up to you where you place it.
Just keep it out of direct sunlight, stay close to an outlet of some sort, and make sure it can actually fit in the place you want!
I also suspect the hallway might be soo small 🙃unfortunately.

My sister thinks behind the bed would look cool, I could imagine my bf liking it besides the bed ( he already was fond of the quarantine tank besides the bed and often looks at it at night before we turn the fishes lights off.

The cat room without the closet will be very empty, with some hanging shelves, bigger plants and a tank it would poebably also look WAY better than it does right now! ( the room only has a cat tree, a VERY ugly sofa, a table and my closet xD)

I will see if I can post some Pics of my ideas later for some advice! 😄❤️

I'm VERY excited for the new tank thought! I'm planing on adding 5 Buenos Aires tetra ( as the minimum school size should be 6, and I dont want to overcrowd the tank) so 1 male and 4 females^~^
I also saw the local-ish fishstore sells some "panda placos" that could be interesting to add!

That is a good question, I was going to ask what the best way of doing it would be!
For my main tank, I didn't really have to pay too much attention to it, the water was already cylced when I got it, and even after, I still didn't have fish in it for the first few weeks / months! Just 2 big plants.

Should I add some plants to the new tank to help it cycle? Does adding the water from the cycled tanks during water changes help in any way? ( as I am sure it also carries the good bakteria?)

How does one add Contained amount sof ammonia, is that something you can do with already existing tanks or is that some filtration media you can/should buy?
I really love the fishless cycling method where you add controlled amounts of pure ammonia. This takes a bit of time (3-4 weeks) but it's bulletproof if you do it right.
You can read about it here: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/

There is another fishless cycling method where you use fast growing plants. But you have to keep those plants and make sure they are growing really well.
Plants are good for cycling because there is good bacteria on them AND they remove ammonia and use it for growth.

Read up on what the nitrogen cycle is to understand what is happening while cycling the tank.

Also just a word of advice. Water can't be "cycled". All the bacteria is actually in the filter media, in the substrate, and on the glass and decor.
The water has little to no "cycle bacteria" in it

Behind the bed would look really nice most likely!
I'm sure you and your boyfriend will find a really good spot!
I'm not sure how big the tank is gallon wise but just make sure you do your research and make sure any fish you choose are peaceful and have closely matching parameters.
Also make sure they all can safely live in that tank size.

1. I will look at the link you provided me, thank you!! 😄
And I deffinilty will to a fish less cycle, otherwise would just be irresponsible

2. Of course I will research, I already have! 😄
I always check on what fish to get for which fish and compatibilities, that's an absolute must for me.

The Buenos Aires tetra CAN live in upwards of 10 Gallons, should ideally have around 30 gallons for a larger school, (10 + tetra) the tank I am getting is 31,7 us liquid gallons ^~^

I could put more than 6 in, but I want them to have enough space, I don't need an overcrowded tank!

The Buenos Aires is a friendly fish, so temper wise he is very compatible with many fish. One recommended tank mate is the placo, so that's why I will probably end up getting 1 male and 1-2 female panda placos, and that will most likelt be all in the tank ^~^

Last edited:
1. I will look at the link you provided me, thank you!! 😄
And I deffinilty will to a fish less cycle, otherwise would just be irresponsible

2. Of course I will research, I already have! 😄
I always check on what fish to get for which fish and compatibilities, that's an absolute must for me.

The Buenos Aires tetra CAN live in upwards of 10 Gallons, should ideally have around 30 gallons for a larger school, (10 + tetra) the tank I am getting is 31,7 us liquid gallons ^~^

I could put more than 6 in, but I want them to have enough space, I don't need an overcrowded tank!

The Buenos Aires is a friendly fish, so temper wise he is very compatible with many fish. One recommended tank mate is the placo, so that's why I will probably end up getting 1 male and 1-2 female panda placos, and that will most likelt be all in the tank ^~^
When people say pleco they dont mean corydoras. While plecos and corydoras are both catfish they are not the same.
If you go for a pleco, one bristlenose would be kinda cool! And for corydoras there are a TON of amazing options

When people say pleco they dont mean corydoras. While plecos and corydoras are both catfish they are not the same.
If you go for a pleco, one bristlenose would be kinda cool! And for corydoras there are a TON of amazing options
Ob I wasn't aware!

The German name for them is "Panda Panzerwels", and I only knew "Wels" as placo in English xD

So, I just googled the compatibility of Buenos Aires tetra (Rautenflecksalmler) with the panda Corydoras ( Panda-Panzerwels), and they seem to make excellent tank mates still! The "Panzerwels" is one of the recommended tank mates for the Buenos Aires 😄

PS. The placo that I own in my main tank IS a male bristlenose, I don't get why people dislike them so much, I think they are awesome!! He's a bit timid, but always has been. I've had him for 2 years now, he's a big chunker 🤣
The other "placo" in the Eis then jot actually a palco, but also a Corydoras, a "Mosaik-Panzerwels"

Ob I wasn't aware!

The German name for them is "Panda Panzerwels", and I only knew "Wels" as placo in English xD

So, I just googled the compatibility of Buenos Aires tetra (Rautenflecksalmler) with the panda Corydoras ( Panda-Panzerwels), and they seem to make excellent tank mates still! The "Panzerwels" is one of the recommended tank mates for the Buenos Aires 😄
Yah they should get along well and stay out of eachother's way. The tetras stay to the middle and top sections while corydoras will scavenge the bottom! Do those two species will fill out the tank and give you a bunch of activity!

So, bad news 😕

My beloved Dwarf gouramie passed away a week or two ago, very suddenly. The morning he was fine and eating, la
Ter in the day he was very unresponsive and just floating beneith the survace, but head up.

So I placed him into my quarantine tank, just to be sure and give him a fighting chance.
Later that day he was laying at bottom of the tank, breathing very heavily. I put some medication in at that point to try to save him, but the next morning, he had passed away.

Now, my placo keeps bullying my Corydoras paleatus. Evertime he payed down at the bottom, he would be chased away. He was starting tog et a little lethargic, so I tried to rehoke him with my Buenos Aires tetra in the ~120 little tank, went very well for a few days, lethargy seemingly improved, but this morning, I found him stuck to the filter... He is still alive, but has some sores on the side that was stuck, so now I set up the quarantine tank again, and am currently getting him acclimated to the water, but it's not looking good for him.

I've never had a live fish stuck to the filter, some dead ones rarely, but I have no idea how to help him.
I have medication for a large variety of desease, should I add that once he is aclimated?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back