Honest opinions on my tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I will check out the fish you mentioned and they compatibilities! O. O yes, I current have in thay tank (forgive me if I get the English names incorrect) :

Antenae placo ( Antennenwels) (male)
Mosaik placo (Mosaik panzerwels) (female??)
1 dwarf gourami (male)
2 swordtails (m/F)
And a ton of guppies ^~^

I was thinking about getting 1-2 more female dwarf guramis for the male ^~
PS.

I've heard that dwarf furami es can be very territorial, he seems to be rather calm though! The only times I see him. Chasing anyone is if they get to close, but other than that, he just swaims around and minds his won business!
I've read several times that pairing them with a female or two can also calm them down since they are schooling fish?
Ah ok. If you have a ton of guppies in the tank then I wouldn't add any other small schooling fish. Could be too much and also could just look like a bad mix of fish lol. But right now I'd say the tank is well stocked.
The only thing I'm personally concerned about is the hardness of your water. Your pleco is a software fish and most gouramis are also software. But swordtails are from medium-hardwater. And guppies can live on the mid-higher end of soft water (meaning it can live in water that is almost hard or IS hard)...
Most of the time, fish kept in the wrong water hardness die early. And sometimes it can be a painful death. Hardwater fish have an organ that can process hard water but in softwater fish, minerals build up inside and lead to kidney failure. And if hardwater fish are kept in softwater, they don't have the minerals needed for proper health.

Just a heads up is all. Not saying you have to get rid of those fish or make any changes to water chemistry. If your water is medium-soft your fish should be fine

I've had the guppies for about 2 years now with only ever finding 2 dead, I think they are doing well?

Of the fish need different hardinesses of water, how come they are then recommended to be stocked together? I'll checkt water hardiness again and the fishes requirement, but so far as I knew u til now, all I have are compatible and good tank mates 😮
But I am not TOO experienced with aquariums yet, so I will deffinitly look into it more!

I've had the guppies for about 2 years now with only ever finding 2 dead, I think they are doing well?

Of the fish need different hardinesses of water, how come they are then recommended to be stocked together? I'll checkt water hardiness again and the fishes requirement, but so far as I knew u til now, all I have are compatible and good tank mates 😮
But I am not TOO experienced with aquariums yet, so I will deffinitly look into it more!
Stores want sales. They will tell you "yah it's fine to put a gourami in a 1 gallon bowl"... But it's not and they just want your open wallet. Now there are SOME honest stores but that's hard to find now...
Your guppies and swordtails SHOULD be fine but that's depending on hardness of water. Which should be fine especially if you have had them for 2 years with only two deaths

Oh nono I didn't get them Form any stores! ^~^ I researched every fish online and who they are compatible with before looking for fish. The placo I have had the longest, I have had him for 2 years, and he was deffinilty already a few years old when I got him from something similar to Craigslist.

The guppies I got from a family friend that had too many, so I checked if the antenna placo is compatible with them on several forums and websites and it always was a yes, so i got he guppies.

The grouamie, 2 swordtails and the placo I got with 2 other fish from someone whow Antes tog et rid of them and said if no one took them, he'd flush them down the toilet. So I got those with their tank, they were 6 bis fish in a 30l tank ( now my hospital tank)

One of the fish, was one of the 6 I rescued, a buenos aires tetra, but after some research, I learned he is a notorious fin nipper and not suitable for guppies, so he is alone in the hospital tank and I am trying to rehome him to someone who has a school of buenos aires.

The placo, guramie and swordtail were supposedly all compatible with each other, with antenea placo and with the guppies, so they were set I to the main tank after the quarantine phase.

I research each and every fish for their compatibility before setting it into the main tank, if they weren't suitable, I would've rehomend them like I am doing with the buenos aires tetra ^~^

I used to have 3 old swordtails when I got the placo 2years ago, but they since have passed away about a year ago, they were also from the semi Craig'slist.

I researched compatibility, warder hardiness and temperature for the stock I currently have, they live in a tank with 24 degrees Celsius as that was a temperature that as ideal for all of them

Oh nono I didn't get them Form any stores! ^~^ I researched every fish online and who they are compatible with before looking for fish. The placo I have had the longest, I have had him for 2 years, and he was deffinilty already a few years old when I got him from something similar to Craigslist.

The guppies I got from a family friend that had too many, so I checked if the antenna placo is compatible with them on several forums and websites and it always was a yes, so i got he guppies.

The grouamie, 2 swordtails and the placo I got with 2 other fish from someone whow Antes tog et rid of them and said if no one took them, he'd flush them down the toilet. So I got those with their tank, they were 6 bis fish in a 30l tank ( now my hospital tank)

One of the fish that was one of the fish is a buenos aires tetra, but after some research, I learned he is a notorious fin nipper and not suitable for guppies, so he is alone in the hospital tank and I am trying to rehome him to someone who has a school of buenos aires.

The placo, guramie and swordtail were supposedly all compatible with each other, with antenea placo and with the guppies, so they were set I to the main tank after the quarantine phase.

II researched each and every fish for their compatibility before setting it into the main tank, if they were suitable, I would've rehomend them like I am doing with the buenos aires tetra ^~^

II used to have 3 old swordtails when I got the placo 2years ago, but they since have passed away about a year ago, they were also from the semi Craig'slist.

II researched compatibility, warder hardiness and temeprsturethe stock I currently have live in a tank with 24 degrees Celsius as that was a temperature that as idela for all of them
That's great to hear! Good on you for actually doing the research instead of adding whatever. Sometimes people come on here and ask if they can do a rift lake cichlid (extremely hardwater fish that can be aggressive) with something like neon tetras (fragile softwater fish that are small and can be eaten)... We're just like: "No... please don't do that" 😂...
Before I knew about hardness (I can't remember when I wasn't aware actually but I know there was time when I wasnt) I would have just researched if they are peaceful or not but now I know that there is more than attitudes. There are temperatures and PHs and soft/hard water. Substrate also matters. Like corydoras need sand otherwise their barbels can be damaged and they can use the sand to do a natural "power" they have called sifting. Where they take sand and sift through it with their gills to find food at the bottom.

Oh, that with the corydoras sounds VERY interesting!! O. O

I am not too knowledgeable with hardiness and substrate yet, but I am trying to learn more to improve the life of my fish, I want them to have a long and happy/healthy life, so I try to give them the best possible care I can ^~^ ( alos one of the reason I bought all those plants >~< so the fry and guppies can hide better if need be or just feel more relaxed with they own territories etc)

I usually Google something along the lines of " compatible for guppies" and then check several websites for what types of fish they recommend, what their requirements are etc, to decide if it is good to keep them together or not.

I do feel bad for the buenos aires tetra atm being all alone in a small tank, but that's also the reason I am trying to rehome him to someone who knows a bit about buenos aires and preferably had a school for him, since they are schooling fish, I don't want him to be alone in a way to small tank! But if I didn't take him in, he would've long been flushed down the toilet by now >~<

Ps: regarding the chichilds, I actually was once contemplating on getting them when I found out someone in the town next to us is breeding and selling them, but agyer I Google, I learned a) not suitable for guppies b) my tank would be a bit to short for them, and I DO NOT want to keep fish that need bigger tanks in a too small one, I don't want to keep them Inhumanely.

On the German Craigslist similar site, I oncrsaw an about 100l tank with LITERALLY COUNTLESS of huge fish, I felt so bad for them omg. Someone was selling them, there were AT LEAST 50 big fish in that tank, they looked to be the size of an adult skalar, absolutely insane

Oh, that with the corydoras sounds VERY interesting!! O. O

I am not too knowledgeable with hardiness and substrate yet, but I am trying to learn more to improve the life of my fish, I want them to have a long and happy/healthy life, so I try to give them the best possible care I can ^~^ ( alos one of the reason I bought all those plants >~< so the fry and guppies can hide better if need be or just feel more relaxed with they own territories etc)

I usually Google something along the lines of " compatible for guppies" and then check several websites for what types of fish they recommend, what their requirements are etc, to decide if it is good to keep them together or not.

I do feel bad for the buenos aires tetra atm being all alone in a small tank, but that's also the reason I am trying to rehome him to someone who knows a bit about buenos aires and preferably had a school for him, since they are schooling fish, I don't want him to be alone in a way to small tank! But if I didn't take him in, he would've long been flushed down the toilet by now >~<
I honestly think you are doing great! There are a few minor things but nothing that should be life threatening to the fish in your tank.
The tetra you have, sure it's not in the optimal conditions but you rescued it! Which is a very unselfish thing to do! I'm still learning, your still learning, everyone living is still learning in their own way.

Naww, I really appreciate the kind words! <3

If you have any improvement ideas on the main tank etc, I'd be more than glad to hear them!
For the tetras sake, I really hope someone will soon Text me that they want to give it a home, he deserves a school <3

Naww, I really appreciate the kind words! <3

If you have any improvement ideas on the main tank etc, I'd be more than glad to hear them!
For the tetras sake, I really hope someone will soon Text me that they want to give it a home, he deserves a school <3
No problem. Glad I could help :)

I will always be glad to recommend different ideas! Maybe try getting your tank in one of the monthly contests on here! I'm sure people will love seeing your tank!

Yah, keep us updated on the tetra situation! I hope he gets a nice large tank and school as well!

I deffinilty will keep this thread updated if I find a home for him <3

I'd I think I will! A mod on firdt page already suggested me submitting it to the August tank for he month, that's is VERY flattering!
I didn't think I'd stand a chnace at all with all these experienced people and they amazing tanks! O. O
But just for fun, it would be nice to do that! <3

I'd I think I will! A mod on firdt page already suggested me submitting it to the August tank for he month, that's is VERY flattering!
I didn't think I'd stand a chnace at all with all these experienced people and they amazing tanks! O. O
thats what its all about!

I deffinilty will keep this thread updated if I find a home for him <3

A wise moderator (@Fishmanic) once told me "It's not about winning... It's about showing off your tank and camera skills". It's just a chance for people to see all the work you have put into it! I honestly think you will at least get a few votes. Win or "lose" a competition, I still think it's a lovely aquarium still! No competition can change that.

I feel the same as you though, I like the way my tank turned out but I don't think I will ever win a competition with it 😅...

That's is very very true u.u

And it deffinilty will be fun just to show off our beloved tank <3 have you ever submitted yours to the tnak of the Month? 👀

I'd be very interested in seeing what kind of tank you have! I've seen so many amazing tanks here <3

I am very happy with my current tank, even more with the fake plants booted put 🤣

And it deffinilty will be fun just to show off our beloved tank <3 have you ever submitted yours to the tnak of the Month? 👀

I'd be very interested in seeing what kind of tank you have! I've seen so many amazing tanks here <3

I am very happy with my current tank, even more with the fake plants booted put 🤣
I did once... but that was before my big re-scape I did.i want to put my tank in this year. And I did put my QT in a TOTM contest this year but that was for laughs cause it is ugly 🤣

Here is my 20g tank if you wanted to see it:
20220622_150653.jpg

i entered my 10g once and won!
heres the tank:
1655991872175.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back