Honduran Red Points

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a pair of these, can anyone help me out here? I know they're closely related to convicts I think. What tank size etc would be ideal for them to breed in alone?

Cheers.

HRPs are a great fish, they were my first breeding pair. I had mine in a Roma 125 and it worked okay but the male was really really hard on the female after breeding and eventually stressed her out too much and killed her :( I would say have a 30g with the pair and some dithers, but I would also have a 10g spare to remove the female to once the fry are starting to get a bit of size to them.

They are much more peaceful than Convicts and better looking IMO but dont underestimate them they can be nasty little fish but so an any cichlid really. Males get to about 5 inches females much smaller usually upto about 3 inches.

The fry sell well as well - so long as the shop owners know the difference between them and Convicts.

This was my pair
P1020282.jpg

Wills

Hey Will, thanks very much! If i decided to go a head with them and managed to get them to breed would i remove the female with the fry or should i leave the fry with the male? I really do like them, and i have always wanted some Cons so maybe this is the answer i have been looking for. My LFS's have stopped stocking Convicts. Don't know if this is because of their willingness to breed and getting over loaded with them?!

I imagine that would be a good reason for them to stop stocking Cons. To be honest though there are a lot of members in the Convict family. HRPs are great but there is also the Yellow Convict, Cryptoheros Nanoleutus (Spelling) that are more peaceful still than the HRPs.

With separating I would probs separate the male away but just see how it goes some males are totally fine, given that the males do get larger than the females if you can give the female plenty of places to hide where the male can not get in, they are really good parents. My male used to attack my arm during water changes, nothing serious just a little nip but a bit of a shock haha!

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back