Honduran red point fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Grizleyguy

Reaction score
Hello all can anyone tell me whats the earliest I can remove hrp fry from parents and put in a nursery tank. Also, how many days after eggs hatch do I need to feed the fry. Thanks

Hi congrats on the fry :) you can remove the fry at any point, to start they will eat their yolk sacks but make sure you have fry food or a baby brine shrimp set up to feed them.

Just watch the aggression between the pair after you remove the fry as the aggression could kick up a notch.

Wills

So when is the signal to start feeding fry. They just wiggle in a pile that the mother placed them in. 3 days hatched now. I will vacuum them now after hearing your response. Its perfect timing now cuz mother just moved them to an easy spot for me to access. Should I start 3 times a day feeding of powder fry feed now. I crushed and mixed dry baby shrimp, nano pellets, cichlid pellets, and tropical flakes for the lil guys.

So when is the signal to start feeding fry. They just wiggle in a pile that the mother placed them in. 3 days hatched now. I will vacuum them now after hearing your response. Its perfect timing now cuz mother just moved them to an easy spot for me to access. Should I start 3 times a day feeding of powder fry feed now. I crushed and mixed dry baby shrimp, nano pellets, cichlid pellets, and tropical flakes for the lil guys.
LIve food is great for fry. You could set up a small brine shrimp hatchery.

I currently have a colony of little white jumping specks in my established planted 20 gal long/ nursery tank. Not sure what type of critter but from what I've read it's dafnia or some type of crustation. Hopefully they will eat these guys in between my diy powder fry feedings

Here's a video focused on white cridders first then fry second. Fry are hard to see

Video wouldn't go through so here's pics. Thanks for all the help btw

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_185010860.jpg
    IMG_20220803_185010860.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220803_185038176.jpg
    IMG_20220803_185038176.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 34
Do not separate baby cichlids from their parents until the babies are at least 1 month old and swimming off on their own. The baby fish need to learn behaviour and language from their parents and separating them at an early age does not help them in any way, shape or form.

You can remove babies from the parents when the babies no longer go back to the adults at night.

----------------------
Baby cichlids can take newly hatched brineshrimp as soon as they start swimming. If the babies are still flopping about in a pit, wait until they are actually swimming in a little group before you start feeding them.

After a week on newly hatched brineshrimp, you can add microworms and a week after that, start adding powdered fry food or small bottom feeding pellets. But keep feeding the newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms for at least 2 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back