Homes And Transport Hit By Floods

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
"Flood warnings have been issued by the Environment Agency, as bad weather sweeps across much of England.

Warnings have been issued for Norfolk, Suffolk, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire and Cambridgeshire.

About 100 people have been trapped by rising flood water at a tool factory in Sutton Coldfield.

Homes have been flooded and motorists stranded in several counties, while train services have been badly disrupted by heavy rainfall", full story;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6755571.stm

Actually just last night i was staying up late with my fiance when we heard this massive rain shower start outside all of a sudden. There's been a lot of heavy rain over here recently over the last couple of weeks, but this shower was really intense and very loud- i actually remember looking out of the bedroom window at around 2-3am in the morning to look out at the street below and it was raining so bad there were practically rivers running of the side of the streets.
But its all fine here now, where i live in my town my house is located up on the hill side of the down and not town in the valley part, so there's no real flooding here, although there are a lot of natural springs where i live and one happens to be in my garden, but thankfully earlier on in Spring i installed a good drainage system at the bottom of the garden to help drain off excess water from the pond and the spring and so thankfully the garden hasn't flooded badly or anything like that.

How about you guys/girls? Anyone here experience any of the intense rain we got recently thats flooding so many parts of England right now?

edit: Here's some pics in the news of the flooding if anyone's interested;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6756705.stm

Yup, even though I'm in Holland right now we definatly did notice the floods. It's really quite scary how within just 20 minutes of rain the streets were proper flooded. We had to go through it (at the start) to go to my brothers 'passed exams' party, and boy am I glad we were home before things got really out of hand. Sure, we were absolutely soaked when we got in from having to walk through what you could nearly call swimming pools just to get to the car ... but as least we still managed to drive home safely.

A bad photo that mum took during the weather which shows what things were like:

rain.JPG

Not taken by my mum, but earlier on in my town:
4050165.jpg

There's photos going around of a guy in his swimming trunks floating around on a lilo... while wet, it wasn't cold.

Another whole bunch of photos can be found here:
Storm Photos

A Dutch place called Hoogeveen got hit by a 'Downburst' as well which caused quite some damage. As can be seen in this picture, the downburst caused the blown over trees to lay nicely facing the same direction:

Noodweer_18.jpg

We got it a bit worse yesterday, I decided to close my office at 1pm as the river had flooded the road upto the end of my carpark, which it also did last week, however it was still hammering down with rain. I ignored the calls of "Pussy" from the other people who run their businesses from there and also my head office :p

Here is a shot from 8:30pm last night when I nipped back down to get some files so I could work from home.
IMG_1790Large.jpg

Pussy indeed :D

The building in the distance is the building I work in :hyper: The pratt in the BMW chelsea tractor ignored me when I told him it was too deep, but sadly he did realise that I was right and managed to get out :grr: Apparently though around the corner where it is much deeper, there are 3, 4*4's that drowned and even a dustbin lorry :hyper: This morning, I spoke to one of the men who called me a pussy yesterday and it seems that at 5pm when he left, he waded through water upto his chest with his laptop on his head and had to walk 3 miles to get home :lol: as he had to leave his car AND all the roads were gridlocked.

The basement of the building is below the level of the river which runs behind and as it burst it's bank, it's now underwater, but thankfully it appears to have only reached just below the ground floor level. Some people have managed to get in this morning, but I'm not wading upto my thighs, even though the phone and electricity are all still on :good:

We've had little brooks running so fast that they have eroded the banks and caused trees to fall onto the roads, blocking one of the main roads out of my estate.

been really bad around here, luckily our house is on the top of a hill so not affected but several areas near by have flooded. thankfully it's not rained all day today so should clear

in Rye (where my fella is originally from) it was awful this weekend, and in Folkstone people were swimming in the streets !

Pets at home in Chesterfield is part of a retail park that has been flooded by the River Hipper bursting it's banks and there are photo's doing the rounds showing water at chest level.

I've just been into my vet and they informed me that the consequence has been that many of the animals have died, the rabbits/hamsters etc that are normally in pens on the floor were all apparently drowned :( I would assume that at least one if not two entire rows of fish tanks will have been wiped out too and assuming that the power was out, possibly the top row will have been affected too :( The birds were about the only animals that survived as the aviaries are tall enough that there was space above the water for them to survive.

They don't stock many furry critters and I'm amazed that none of the staff took the initiative to put them into carry cases (which they sell) and take the animals out, take them home, even give them away anything to save their lives.

Arfie

I am in Sheffield - I didn't actually get to see any water lol, tbh if no-one told me I wouldn't have realised - our house is on a huge hill, everything was working as it should e.t.c. but my grandma got stuck in traffic til 2 a.m.

Pets at home in Chesterfield is part of a retail park that has been flooded by the River Hipper bursting it's banks and there are photo's doing the rounds showing water at chest level.

I've just been into my vet and they informed me that the consequence has been that many of the animals have died, the rabbits/hamsters etc that are normally in pens on the floor were all apparently drowned :( I would assume that at least one if not two entire rows of fish tanks will have been wiped out too and assuming that the power was out, possibly the top row will have been affected too :( The birds were about the only animals that survived as the aviaries are tall enough that there was space above the water for them to survive.

They don't stock many furry critters and I'm amazed that none of the staff took the initiative to put them into carry cases (which they sell) and take the animals out, take them home, even give them away anything to save their lives.

Arfie

oh how sad :-( :rip:

I have been watching pretty good sunshine for the last few days from my work and home windows.

Further proof that the South is much better than the North :p

I have been watching pretty good sunshine for the last few days from my work and home windows.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
you is spoiling for a fight as usual
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Been okay here, Just loads of rain and parts of the ring closed due to cars Aquaplaning in the amount of water on the Roundabouts.

I did find it funny when at work last week that people were complaining about getting wet walking the 10 yards from the car park to the office. when they have the privilige of a car park space and the rest of us have to walk 20-30 Mins from the nearest car park.

There will be more sun down south

What with it shining out of your arse ;)

There will be more sun down south

What with it shining out of your arse ;)

But how would I watch it outside when I am sitting on my work chair inside? :huh:

Maybe it's just because the Flying Spaghetti Monster chose the Southerners as the chosen ones, that's why we are spared the cleansing floods? ;)

Ramen!

Don't know where you live, but I'm in Dover, and I was paddling about in my sitting room for most of the week, and we've just about forgotton what the sun is!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back