Homemade Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aquariumart22

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all :)

I have some sheets of tempered glass and I was wondering if I make a tank, about 40-60 gallons, and make the dimensions around 4ft long 2-2 1/2ft wide and 1ft high, would it be a good idea? My plan would be to make a corydora tank so length and width would be more important than height right? Would this be an adequate tank or should I think something higher? I like the idea of it being different. I plan to have metal top and bottom supports to strengthen. I haven't got too serious yet with research, just wondering on others' thoughts..

Any advice is welcome! :nod:

You are looking at breeder tank proportions rather than show tank proportions. I always have favored a breeder type configuration because it gives more fish support than a show tank of the same volume.

Thanks Oldman, I appreciate your thoughts. I plan on making it look more like show tank, possibly heavily planted. I'm not sure if I want to take that route, or go with something more show tank sized. I like the idea of dedicating a tank to a certain species. I've been contemplating a tall tank as well, possibly for angels or discus.

I worry because there aren't many odd sized tanks for purchase. Maybe I'm thinking too hard and a more "standard size" would be better for fish.

Since I have the desire to build a tank, I'd like to do something different and I'm wondering if I have the right thought process about it.

If the glass is tempered (toughened) then you can't cut it to size. In the UK, tank builders generally don't use this type of glass for aquarium use, mainly because, unlike float glass, it doesn't flex, and has a nasty habit of exploding under stress.

Also another thing I needed to research. Its my dads glass and he thinks its tempered, but hes not sure.

When he said he had glass though, I instantly thought aquarium!

Thanks for that, I shall find out before getting into anything.

hi, i suggest you search for plywood fish tanks,
check my thread on 220 gallon ply build to see what i mean,
it will allow you the satisfaction of buildng your own tank and also gives you the freedom of building it the size you really want,
fire away with any questions if you do decide to go this way,
cheers

it will allow you the satisfaction of buildng your own tank and also gives you the freedom of building it the size you really want,
cheers

+1 :good:

If the glass is tempered (toughened) then you can't cut it to size. In the UK, tank builders generally don't use this type of glass for aquarium use, mainly because, unlike float glass, it doesn't flex, and has a nasty habit of exploding under stress.
Ok, so this is worth knowing! :good:

cheers

Thanks for that, I'll have a look! :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back