homade tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steve-0

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
store bought taks have the rim around the top and bottom.......can you buy that at most lfs because i was thinking f making my own tank?

just to add. DOes anyone know the thickness of glass needed, type of glass, how to make, Links ,and any additional info would be greatly appreciated. thanks :blink:

It all depends on how big you're going to go I think it's about 6mm for the sides and 10mm for the bottom that goes upto about 6 foot long but don't quote me on it. You have to use glass that is made for the job you can't use normal glass it won't take the pressure of the water. As for the rest I don't know but I am looking into it because I wouldn't mind building one of my own (hopefully in the summer)

Making your own tank just isn't cost efficient, I have done a bunch of research on it, it wouldn't be hard to do if you had the materials, but you will end up paying more than if you just went and bought one new that might even come with a hood and still be cheaper. Do a search on this forum for aquarium building, or DIY aquaurium and you should come up with some posts that were just posted in the last couple of weeks or so that asked the exact same question you are.

Superman is correct!!

It is just not cost effective to build your own tank!!

Now if you were thinking of a plywood tank....where the side and back are solid plywood and the front has a frame of plywood with a glass window for viewing, this may save you some money for the larger size tanks!!

I'll see if I can hunt up a few of the old articles I have on building these types of tanks.

One person I know who made a few 240 gallon plywood tanks had them in service for 20 years !!

CM

doesn't the glass have to be tempered? I would think making your own would be risky to the fish, your floors & your wallet

Yes, in most applications the glass does have to be tempered. Cichlid master is right, the only DIY tank that is cost efficient is the plywood tank idea if only seeing the tank through one pain of glass and not through the sides is ok with you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back