Holy Crap!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

longhorn13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i've been in the process of tearing down a 10G and moving the occupants around, so this morning i decided to move two mollies into my 55G tank, whose main inhabitants are a couple of parrots. the parrots have never seemed aggressive at all except to each other. i even added a couple siamensis who were at the time only about an inch and half. so before the lights went on this morning i added the two mollies who are about two inches each. the parrots immediately took notice and started teaming up and hunting them! i've never seen them act like that before. i figured it was just because it was something new in the tank and they'd leave the mollies alone in a few minutes. i left the room for a few minutes and when i came back one of the parrots had a molly in her mouth! the molly was too big to eat, but she was carrying it around getting chased by the other parrot who wanted in on the action. i scared them off and netted the tattered molly and now she's back in her old tank with some melafix, but i think the damage might be too much. now i'm going to have to try to net the other molly (who was actually the first fish i've ever had). i don't get it, the parrots didn't show any interest in the siamensis, but went right after the mollies. maybe it's the bright coloring?

Larger cichlids (even when small) will usually regard mollies/neons/guppies etc..as food. I wouldn't suggest putting them back together if you want to keep them. Hope the little guy pulls through.

yeah, i don't know if she'll make it, her tail is almost nonexistent. i'm going to give a little time to see if there's any progress at all before i start thinking about euthanizing. i just thought it was weird, they didn't even look twice at the siamensis when i put them in and they were much smaller than the mollies. i couldn't catch the other molly, but they aren't paying much attention to her anymore, she's just swimming around with the danios now. i'll keep monitoring the situation though.

If its just fin damage then i wouldn't consider euthanization as an option. Add some Melafix and keep the water prestine and it should pull through...though i'm sure the experience was stressful . As for the mollie still in the tank, it'll end up the same way unless you seperate them.

the molly ended up dying, it was way more than a torn fin, the tail fin was almost complely gone and she couldn't even swim. poor girl, the parrots had never acted aggressive to anyone but themselves. they're not bothering the other molly now, but i'm keeping a close eye to make sure it stays that way, it was hard enough to catch her in the 10G, the 55 would be really tough. i had also added a black swordtail and they don't pay any attention to her.

they could be breeding. :nod:
if they have some convict in them they will get aggressive during breeding and mkaybe they felt threatend by the new tank mates.

HTH

DD

Tought luck there long horn.

The thing abouth hybrids is that they have 2 sets of genetic information fighting for controll of the behavior, some times one of the parent species behaviors come throught and sometimes the behaviors of the other, with fluctiating hormones and paths throught the brain leading places in one fish that they dont in another you find that they are the most irratic fish imaginable, I'll bet the difference between the swimming behavior of the mollys and the siamensis is what made the biggest difference, whice siamensis are very reclusive and stic near surfaces mollys will stand and fight and like to be out in the open guess that the molys looked to much like food to be passed up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back