Holiday

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Cmoye

Reaction score
Hi I’m going away for 5 days and just wondered the best solution for feeding is? I have 10 guppy’s 3 tetras and 2 bullnose catfish

Don't feed whilst away - it often ends in disaster and fish don't need it. They are cold blooded so just need energy to move and grow, they don't need energy to keep warm. Fish are opportunist feeders in the wild and can manage a couple of weeks without food as long as they are well fed beforehand.
Feed well on the lead up to your holiday, do a large water change and tank maintenance the day before you leave. The water will stay pristine while you're away, then resume feeding as normal on your return.

If you have to leave fish unfed for a few days to a week or more, do the following things before you go.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for a couple of weeks before you go away. This will let the fish gain some weight and they can live off the fat reserves. Use a variety of dry, frozen and live foods.

Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two when feeding more. This will keep the water cleaner and reduce the chance of diseases or poor water quality.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter a couple of days before you go so it is clean and there is less chance of it blocking up while you are away.

Feed the fish just before you walk out the door and they will be fine for a week without any more care.

-------
You can also add a heap of live plants a couple of weeks before you go, assuming you don't already have lots of plants in the tank.

Increase the lighting period to 16 hours a day for 2 weeks before you go and while you're away. It will encourage plants and algae to grow and the fish can pick at that. Reduce the lighting period when you get back.
Have the lights on a timer.

If you have to leave fish unfed for a few days to a week or more, do the following things before you go.

Feed the fish 3-5 times a day for a couple of weeks before you go away. This will let the fish gain some weight and they can live off the fat reserves. Use a variety of dry, frozen and live foods.

Do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day or two when feeding more. This will keep the water cleaner and reduce the chance of diseases or poor water quality.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter a couple of days before you go so it is clean and there is less chance of it blocking up while you are away.

Feed the fish just before you walk out the door and they will be fine for a week without any more care.

-------
You can also add a heap of live plants a couple of weeks before you go, assuming you don't already have lots of plants in the tank.

Increase the lighting period to 16 hours a day for 2 weeks before you go and while you're away. It will encourage plants and algae to grow and the fish can pick at that. Reduce the lighting period when you get back.
Have the lights on a timer.
Sshhhh. Don't go telling my missus. I don't really want to go on holiday and keeping fish is a good reason not too...........

Sshhhh. Don't go telling my missus. I don't really want to go on holiday and keeping fish is a good reason not too...........
That sounds like when my sister and her family came to visit. The women had organised a trip to see someone and I said the guys can't go, they have to help do the brakes on my car. The guys looked at me and said, "I'm not doing your brakes". I said "shhhh, I'm trying to get you out of going to so and so's house". They went "Oh, I have to help Colin do the brakes on his car". But it didn't work. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back