Holes In My Plants Leaves?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xamy_valox

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently bought some new plants for my tank as my others werent looking there best.
I bought this one plant which was supposedly 'Gold Standard' and should last forever and a day, it did have a card in it saying what type it was but I can't remember now. Anyway, I have only had it in the tank a week, and alot of the leaves are coming off, and others have little holes in them which eventually turn into big holes, making the leaf disintergrate!
Is there any reason as to why this is happening? It's a shame really as its a lovely plant, and that along with the reddish/brown one I got have really brightened up the tank!
My levels are all fine and I don't see the fish pecking too much at it so I don't think it's them?
Thanks, Amy,

what fish are in the tank ?
Beta, Guppies, Harlequin Rasboras.
no plecos then i had a similar problem but it was a juvinile ancistrus pleco eating them
maybe there none aquatic and are just rotting away cant really say without pictures of the plants though
Here's a pic, it's not great but it's the best I could do!
SDC12015.jpg

Nah I don't have a pleco, I forgot to mention I have a couple of neons aswell, but like I said I havent seen any of the fish pecking at it at all.

Looks like a cryptocoryne of some sort, looks like the leaves are dying off. People often speak about crypts 'melting' when you first plant them but they do recover. I'm not exactly sure what it looks like because i've never experienced it but you may want to move this into the planted tank section.

my crypts have this happen occasionally, but it doesnt really matter, they grow back.

Holes in the leaves could be an indicator of a nutrient deficiency. When leaves melt they get transparent and wilt. These still have their color. It is indeed a crypto species.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
So what do you suggest I do? Just leave it and they should grow back of their own accord?
I was considering putting some plant 'nutrients' or something in that I was reccommended when I bought the plants, but at over £10 for a tiny bottle I didn't bother =P
Plus my brother had some problems with his fish becoming ill after putting some kind of iron supplement in for his plants, so I was reluctant to do anything with the plants myself.

the plant looks like a Cryptocoryne undulata, and the holes look like a Potassium difficiancy. I agree, with MTV, this doesn't look like a crypt melt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back