Hole/Tear in tail..?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NannaLou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good morning,

Just having my usual morning breakfast chat with Blue and noticed a hole or tear in his tail. Nothing obvious on his tail at bedtime yesterday.

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5 ppm

Eating well and seems his usual happy self..
53D7790B-BD32-4A03-88F0-C7632C847021.jpeg
Struggling to get him to stay still for a photo!!

Morning!
It could potentially be pinhole finrot.... But your water is good from your test reading ? do a big water change just in case.... Bettas love cattapa or Indian almond leaves if you haven't got some already? They might help as there's talk of them having antifungal properties, plus the natural tannins help condition the water

He may have caught his tail on something?

Morning!
It could potentially be pinhole finrot.... But your water is good from your test reading ? do a big water change just in case.... Bettas love cattapa or Indian almond leaves if you haven't got some already? They might help as there's talk of them having antifungal properties, plus the natural tannins help condition the water
Thank you, I have got some Indian Almond leaves in the cupboard, but I haven’t used them as my previous Betta died before I worked out what to do with them.
He may have caught his tail on something?
This is my hunch, he’s started to swim in and out and even squeezed under the branch/root thingy. That’s the only thing in the tank that has anything hard enough to do damage...

Looking on Google it didn’t look like fin root to my very untrained eye...

I think I’m going to take the wood out and find out what I need to do with these dried leaves...

I just popped a couple of leaves into the tank as is, they'll float for a few days then they eventually sink and start breaking down. Some people like to break them up and brew a tea with it and pour the cooled tea into the tank.

For a bit of fun, slice 2 little neat cuts one underneath the other at the leaf tip, then roll the leaf into a tube tucking the stalk between the cuts you've made. The leaf will float like that for a while, my betta loved to sleep in his little tunnel ?

I just popped a couple of leaves into the tank as is, they'll float for a few days then they eventually sink and start breaking down. Some people like to break them up and brew a tea with it and pour the cooled tea into the tank.

For a bit of fun, slice 2 little neat cuts one underneath the other at the leaf tip, then roll the leaf into a tube tucking the stalk between the cuts you've made. The leaf will float like that for a while, my betta loved to sleep in his little tunnel ?
I just taken the leaves out of the packet - and I’m not sure they look very nice? But I have no idea what they should look like..?‍♀️

Do you think they look ok..? 9B2A521B-5DE4-41F4-9F1B-22365E3C99FA.jpeg

Just keep the water clean and that'll heal up in no time ? looks to have just been caught on something

Just keep the water clean and that'll heal up in no time ? looks to have just been caught on something
Thank you ?

The wood thing has gone, he seems happy enough. I’ll do another small water change tomorrow just in case.

I had wood in with my bettas but I always used rounded chunks rather than anything with spikey bits.

There's the tights (pantihose) test. With an old pair of tights, rub them over any potential decor. If they snag, either sand down that bit, or don't use it.

I just taken the leaves out of the packet - and I’m not sure they look very nice? But I have no idea what they should look like..?‍♀️

Do you think they look ok..? View attachment 136310
Yeah looks OK, as long as there's no mould etc... Give it a rinse under the tap and stick them in ??

I had wood in with my bettas but I always used rounded chunks rather than anything with spikey bits.

There's the tights (pantihose) test. With an old pair of tights, rub them over any potential decor. If they snag, either sand down that bit, or don't use it.
It would have failed the tights test...gone already...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back