Hole in the head disease

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

semper fi

mrs southeast michigan 2005
Reaction score
okay here we go guys and gals. time for one of semper fi's book reports.

there are two different diseases referred to as hole in the head. one is caused by a flagellated protozoan, either hexamita or spironucleus and the other is environmental. the first is less common in the aquarium due to breeding. the symptons and sores caused by the disease differ. the end result can be fatal in both cases though. the first is so uncommon with the modern age of fishkeeping that it is rarely found any more. it is caused by the specific pathogen a flagellated protozoan. the protozoan is found in every fish in their guts and other organs. it is kept in check in healthy fish through their immune system. once a fish is weakened or environmental changes favor the protozoan, the numbers of the protozoans in the fish increase thus resulting in hole in the head (HITH). the symptons of HITH are the fish will lose it's appetite suddenly, will excrete white slimy feces and will develop puss filled holes in the head area. left untreated this can result in the fish's death.

the other HITH is caused by environmental stress. this is the most common form of HITH and can be an indicator of poor water and filter maintenance. this can be caused by an excess of fish waste in the water, but more than likely by the presence of heavy metals in the tank such as copper. more than likely in rocks that are gathered and not tested to be safe for the aquarium. the fish develops small open sores hat are not puss filled but rather like pits that can become enlarged as time goes on. this is caused by the epithelial cells dying. this can continue til too much of the head is exposed to the open water and the fish dies. unlike the other HITH the fish does carry on it's normal appetite and produces normal looking feces. there is no pathogen responsible in this form of HITH.

while the first HITH can be cured with meds, the second form will only be aggravated by th meds. the first step is to find out the environmental cause of the stress either poor water quality or the contamination of heavy metals. you will need to change the water atleast 75% every week to 10 days. remove any rocks that are not approved for aquarium use, ie out of your yard or found on the banks of rivers, lakes, etc.. another problem is the filtration of the water. if you choose a filtration system for a fish that is not full grown and do not regularly check that it is keeping up with the load of waste, this can cause excess waste in the water. aquarium filtration only slows the degradation of water quality it does not stop it.

from looking at your water changing schedule, you probably are experiencing the latter of the two HITH. the oscar is probably eating and pooping normally but he is growing. the water maintenance schedule was probably sufficient when he was younger, but now he is quite larger and you need to increase the frequencies of changes. once you get rid of the HITH you should continue the water changes on a weekly basis of atleast 20%. also make sure that your filter system is large enough to handle the amount of waste that is being produced by your oscar.

hth

maggie

Thanks Semp for posting this. I have thought my firemouths have Hith , all of them have small pin sized holes in their heads and one has large ones which I know is scar tissue from fighting.
The Water paramaters have always been fine and only one fish has died since (tiger barb, probably from annoying the firemouths) Do you think this is HITH?

I am not sure if one of my red blood parrots have hith. its seems to be getting larger or growing a bump.

Some very nice speculation about the cause of HITH. Unfortunately, I have let reality give me a bit of insight. A vet who specializes in fish diseases was a speaker at our last club meeting. One of the strongest things he had to say was that many, if not most, cases of HITH are from an unknown cause. He actually takes biopsies of the affected area and sends them off for lab analyses. The return from the lab is that they cannot find any disease organism in the fish. His own speculation, and yes a veterinarian was putting it that way, is that there is an organism that is attacking the fish from the inside and what we call HITH is nothing more than a symptom of an unknown bacteria attacking the fish from the inside outward. His prescription for treatment was simple. Hope it doesn't spread to other fish and try whatever you wish as a cure, since the disease itself is a description only. In that way it is similar to pneumonia in people. Pneumonia can be caused by any number of disease organisms but is a description of a symptom, not a disease. It is when the lining of the lungs, is inflamed, it is not a disease per se.

Some very nice speculation about the cause of HITH. Unfortunately, I have let reality give me a bit of insight. A vet who specializes in fish diseases was a speaker at our last club meeting. One of the strongest things he had to say was that many, if not most, cases of HITH are from an unknown cause. He actually takes biopsies of the affected area and sends them off for lab analyses. The return from the lab is that they cannot find any disease organism in the fish. His own speculation, and yes a veterinarian was putting it that way, is that there is an organism that is attacking the fish from the inside and what we call HITH is nothing more than a symptom of an unknown bacteria attacking the fish from the inside outward. His prescription for treatment was simple. Hope it doesn't spread to other fish and try whatever you wish as a cure, since the disease itself is a description only. In that way it is similar to pneumonia in people. Pneumonia can be caused by any number of disease organisms but is a description of a symptom, not a disease. It is when the lining of the lungs, is inflamed, it is not a disease per se.

I will stick to prevention methods to hopefully prevent me from attempting a cure.
Proper diet,Regular water changes,and Absolutely no Feeder fish.
Seems to work as preventitive for me. (knocks wood).
I learned long ago that if you were to present same symptoms to seven doctors,you could easily get seven differing opinions. While measured opinions are a good thing,I would need a bit more than that to light the way forward.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back