Hole In The Hasemania Nana.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Ok, so I went to my Nan's from Sunday-Thursday and come back and on Friday, realise there's something wrong with my Silver tipped tetras.

Firstly, I discovered one had a big white-fleshy-ulcer-thingy on its side. Later this fell off. This has left a hole in the side of the fish, some of the scales surrounding have turned reddish, like blood. The only changes during the Sunday-Thursday period were the stopping of plant fertilisers and adding of Tetra Holiday Food (not limestone blocks, more like meat jelly or cat food.) This fish seems to eat alright and swim alright. It did seem to hide more than usual, but is now in a breeding pen so I can observe and protect it. It has had this hole for 2 or 3 days and isn't really bothering it much, or at least I think it isn't.

Next, I have noticed my other silver tips acting strangely. I caught a couple flicking near each other, as if they had ich. I discovered these two (and maybe more) seem to have slightly redded fins like the badly wounded one.

A possible explanation for all of this is that my silver tips have gone mad. I have caught two bright orange ones (scientifically: male) acting very aggressively. They seem to perhaps scare off my cherry barbs, but this is insignificant, their not really interested in other species. The two males seem to be sitting in the middle of the tank guarding the area from other silver tips. Occasionally this pair engage in high speed pursuit. They seem to 'box' and it likes as pretty horrific. They look as if they are having a proper brawl and trying to bite the others scales. And this pair are not exempt from damage, they seem to have reddened scales too.

I have been dosing Melafix according to the label (15ml a day in 120l) for 3 days now. What should I do, does anybody know the cause of this? All my other fish seem to be healthy.

Your fish have septicemia and parasites could be behind it.
Need to look at your water stats in ammonia, nitriite, nitrate, and ph.
How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Check the gills over to see if there red and inflamed or pale with excess mucas.
Any fish have excess slime.
Was the thing on the side of the fish a lump filled with jelly.

Take a look here to see what you think first.
http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/articles/aeromonas.html

Oh god this sounds really bad.

Your fish have septicemia and parasites could be behind it.
Need to look at your water stats in ammonia, nitriite, nitrate, and ph.
- Will check tomorrow.
How many gallons is the tank
How many fish and which type
6 X Silver Tip Tetra
6 X Cherry Barb
6 X Corydoras Sterbai
1 X Angelfish
1 X Pearl Gourami
2 X Dutch Ram
1 X Zebra Danio
1 X Clown Pleco
Check the gills over to see if there red and inflamed or pale with excess mucas.
- Not red, maybe pale.
Any fish have excess slime.
- I did maybe see white patches on them, but I'm unsure.
Was the thing on the side of the fish a lump filled with jelly.
- No clue really, could have been

What should I do?
I will get pictures tomorrow, and I'm feeling very bad. I don't want to loose them all.

First off I would add a bacterial med.
White patches can be columnaris to parasites.
The white patches are they beneath the skin, do the patches look fluffy in texture.
Need water stats so get that done as fast as you can.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing as need to rule parasites out, as pale gills with excess slime can be parasites.
Any fish darting around the tank, or erratic swimming.

Need to know water stats as fish can flick in bad water quality as well as desease.

First off I would add a bacterial med.
- Melafix is, correct?
White patches can be columnaris to parasites.
The white patches are they beneath the skin, do the patches look fluffy in texture.
- Not beneath the skin, I couldn't really see them much.
Need water stats so get that done as fast as you can.
- It's almost 12am, I'll go and test in a second.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing as need to rule parasites out, as pale gills with excess slime can be parasites.
- They were flicking yesterday.
Any fish darting around the tank, or erratic swimming.
- As I said, mad behavoir.

Need to know water stats as fish can flick in bad water quality as well as desease.

Melafix is no good you need anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
Septicemia hard to cure once it progressed and the interpet meds only good on mild bacterial infections.
We need to look at your water stats before we go any further.
As bad water quality can cause septicemia, flicking and rubbing, darting around the tank, pale body and gills due to stress.

You need to check the white patches as its important.

Take a look here.
[URL="http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm"]http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm[/URL]

Taken from the link.
The white patches often have a reddish rim around them and within 24 hours, they can quickly form an ulcer (raw open area in the skin), which is shaped like a circle and then it enlarges. The ulcers may sometimes have a yellow or orange color to them due to the piling of pigmented bacteria upon each other. If an ulcer penetrates into the body deeply, this leads to septicemia. The symptoms of a Flexibacter infection may include sluggish activity and a poor to absent appetite.

The white patches are not as severe as that, hardly visable at all. I discovered reddening, the ulcer etc on Friday and no more ulcers have developed.

Test results are just coming in:

pH 7.0-7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Very strange.

The hole actually looks smaller than it was, maybe that's the effects of the melafix.

Ulcers are pink or red with a circling of dead white skin around the edges.
Need to find out what then white patches are as they could be columnaris to parasites.
Can you load a pic up of the sick fish as that might help.

Ulcers are pink or red with a circling of dead white skin around the edges.
Need to find out what then white patches are as they could be columnaris to parasites.
Can you load a pic up of the sick fish as that might help.

The ulcer was white was red/pink circling it.
I cannot get a picture until tomorrow (8 hours or so.)
Since it's 12:15am my Mum wants me to go to bed.
Thanks for the help.

Test results are up and good...

Can we take a look at your stats as if there good you could be dealing with a parasite if the fish are flicking and rubbing, and darting around the tank.
Parasites cause bacterial infections.

Wounds that are white on the edges and red in the center are most typically Aeromonas. Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria. The best treatment for this is any sulfa antibiotic with trimetheprim. This can be put in the water and mixed with food -- if you can find Romet B use it.

Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria.
Your fish have columnaris and they sometimes can flick and rub with columnaris.

Treatment anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.

Can we take a look at your stats as if there good you could be dealing with a parasite if the fish are flicking and rubbing, and darting around the tank.
Parasites cause bacterial infections.

Wounds that are white on the edges and red in the center are most typically Aeromonas. Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria. The best treatment for this is any sulfa antibiotic with trimetheprim. This can be put in the water and mixed with food -- if you can find Romet B use it.

Those that are red on the edges and white in the center are generally Columnaris. Both are gram negative bacteria.
Your fish have columnaris and they sometimes can flick and rub with columnaris.

Treatment anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.

pH 7.0-7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

I have noticed increasingly (this morning too) that the whole is much smaller than it was originally.
Could be Columnaris since the ulcer was white in the centre and red on the edges.
So I should buy pimafix (very useful since it's compatible with melafix.)

Yes it columnaris it seems to point that way and columnaris can cause ulceration of the skin.
Ditch the melafix is no good on columnaris.
You need anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.
It might not cure it as it sounds bad and uk meds are not that strong.

Yes it columnaris it seems to point that way and columnaris can cause ulceration of the skin.
Ditch the melafix is no good on columnaris.
You need anti internal bacteria med by interpet and pimafix.
It might not cure it as it sounds bad and uk meds are not that strong.

Ok I'll go and take a picture.

These are the only pictures I could get, it refused to let me photo the hole on the other side.

SilverTippedTetra003.jpg

SilverTippedTetra002.jpg

SilverTippedTetra001.jpg

I fetched all the information up I have and the patches what you describe seem to fit columnaris.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back