Hole in stomach of neon tetra

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dane.w

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my neon tetras have died, I have 10 (9 now), 2 rams, 2 dwarf gourami, 2 pearl gourami and 2 mollies, I recently found my neon tetra dead and it had a hole in its stomach I can’t find anything online and I need help to prevent this happening again

It is not unusual for fish to start eating fish after they die so the hole may not be the cause of death, need you water test results like for ammonia and what @CryptFan asked for too. Picture of deceased fish would be helpful.

I can't think why it had a hole in stomach, but, it was a neon after all and are weak n inbred if yr unlucky so as yr other fish are ok I wouldn't worry about it. Yes you can post parameters but I'm assuming all is well. How long have you had them etc. No information to go on here. Tank size i assume is adequate so report back if anything more happens.
I got 24 neons introduced to angels n barbs,,,,,, I no I'll get slated,,,,,, 2 got chased n eaten in 2 mins. I caught the barbs n neons and put them back after 2 hrs and they all live happily now, 22 neons still going well 3 mth later. I think the tank thought they were food !!!

A photo would help us figure this out. If it had a hole before it died I'm not sure, but after death other fish/shrimp/snails will go for the stomach first and make a hole as it's the easiest part to eat.

The tank is 35 gallons and has been running for about 2-3 months. The ammonia is 0 ppm. Nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate 5 ppm. I’ve had these for about 1 month as they were the last fish I added.
96AC71A1-0F84-4934-A0B9-D074E7C29796.jpeg

The fish has a bacterial infection. The faded blue line, green/ grey area where the blue line should be, whitish area above the blue line are all signs of a bacterial infection in neon tetras.

Thank you. Are any of my other fish at risk of getting or having a bacterial infection and if so how can I stop it

Any tetra in the tank can get it as can any fish depending on the bacteria.

The best thing to do if you ever lose a fish, is a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This helps to dilute disease organisms in the water and can sometimes prevent the other fish from getting sick.

You can add some salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water). Keep salt in the water for 2 weeks.

If the fish continue to die from the infection, then get an anti-biotic or broad spectrum fish medication.

The fish has a bacterial infection. The faded blue line, green/ grey area where the blue line should be, whitish area above the blue line are all signs of a bacterial infection in neon tetras.
The colors fade when they die so that really isn’t an indication of a bacterial infection in this case.

If the entire fish had faded then maybe, but when only half the blue line is faded with a grey green area, it is bacterial.

So can you say that the hole in the fish’s stomach wasn’t to do with the death but if the parameters are fine then is this just a “freak accident”

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back