Holding already?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

modernhamlet

Just this guy...
Reaction score
One of the Pseudotropheus sp. "Msobo" in my tank is looking and acting EXACTLY like a holding female. Problem is, all 6 of them are still the bright yellow orange of juveniles and females. Only two of them are showing even the slightest hint of blue coming into their dorsal fin. When they are fully mature, they will be blue and black.

The fish in question has the telltale swelling of the buccal cavity and has cordoned off the largest cave area in the tank and chases any and all fish that come within a few inches of it. She has not eaten in 2 days.

Two questions:

Can this species of Pseudotropheus really breed as early subadults or will these eggs probably be unfertilized or swallowed?

If I'm lucky and only 2 of the 6 mosobo are males, what's the likelihood that they'll both be able to stay, given they've all shared the tank since they were quite small?

it has been known for mbuna to breed when still young enough to be in immature colours. the only problem is that she will put all her energy into breeding and none into growing, you may well end up with a stunted fish. what size are they now?

The larger msobo are all around 3.5" (give or take), including the one in question. Three are a little smaller, between 2.5" and 3".

I'd hate for this one fish to not eat anything for a couple of weeks, especially knowing how much they can grow in that amount of time.

How might I confirm she's holding?
Any suggestions for how to handle it if she really is?

try to look in her mouth if you can, there'll be eggs or babies in there and they are quite easy to see!!
do you want to keep the young?
if so then you could strip her of the eggs/babies.

If you want her to release the fry's early then your going to have to force her mouth to open or net her and try shaking her with the net.....

I found a half inch fry in my tank with only, 2.5 inch females and 4 inch males,

as for the male female thin, it would be best to have one male and if youn have the chance or it's not to hard definately get rid of one if not you could wait and see, I am getting rid of one of my male kenyi but they are both almost five inches and there are only two female right now, with no problems so far.

The female will not grow while breeding since she won't be eating, but it won't lead to stunted growth - she'll continue growing when she begins eating again.

freddyk said:
The female will not grow while breeding since she won't be eating, but it won't lead to stunted growth - she'll continue growing when she begins eating again.
surely that'll depend on whether she breeds again straight away or not?

Looks like this first time was an aborted attempt. She's eating again, sans bulge. Something tells me this isn't the last time for her or many of the others.

Thanks for the advice though guys. I'm sure I'll be swimming in fry soon enough!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back