HOB suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TofferMora

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
So I am currently looking at getting a new fish tank, bidding on one on eBay at the minute that is about 100lts, it comes with a filter but want to upgrade it and so was looking at a hob. Currently looking at the Seachem tidal 55, what are people's thoughts and do they have any other suggestions, ones that I can get in the UK.
Also would I need to alter the lid of the tank to accommodate the filter?
Any other thoughts on filters, should I get an internal or external instead?
The only thing that is kind of putting me of the Seachem is that I had looked at getting some shrimp and have read they could get sucked into the inlet.
Thanks for any help

cant go wrong with a seachem tidal filter, they are a bit large, but they work amazingly.

What sort of filter is currently on the tank?

Depending on the lid/ hood set up, you might not be able to have a HOB style filter, or you might have to modify the hood so the filter can fit.

It's an internal one, I did wonder about having to modify the hood, is it just a matter of cutting a piece out or is there more to it?

If it's a wooden hood, you can cut out whatever is needed so the filter fits. Plastic hood should be the same but be careful cutting plastic because it can crack or break much more easily than wood does.

If the tank has coverglass on top, you can either get it cut so it's a couple of inches shorter at one end, or if it's a 2 piece cover, then move one piece so it sits on the middle support strip (assuming the tank has one). If it doesn't have a support strip, just rest one cover so it overlaps the other cover.

just rest one cover so it overlaps the other cover.
that's a bit of a tongue twister :)

Glass lids have a plastic piece of trim on the back; you cut out pieces to fit filters, hoses, etc

If you are cutting wood or plastic cutouts, it helps to radius the corners to prevent stress cracks. An easy way to do this is drill a hole ( ~1/4" Dia) inside each corner with the edge of the drill bit tangent to each side. Drill the holes first, then cut the sides. Where the side meets the holes after cutting, dress the junction with a file.

I have a glass top with the plastic backs designed to be modified as needed. For a nice clean look I took a 1" hole saw and drilled out a hole on each side to run the supply and return lines to my canister filter. Then I cut a single slit to the edge to be able to bend it when I have to take the glass covers off during cleaning times.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back