HMS Bounty wood ship model

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Got myself into a real project here. This is what is called an Admiralty Model. In days of yore and old there was no such thing as blueprints or plans. Master artisans of shipbuilding would build a detailed scale model of a proposed ship and present it to the English Admiralty for approval. This is my attempt. The storied HMS Bounty of Captain Bligh's and Fletcher Christian's fame. I get a pack sent to me every month for one year. I started in January so it "should" be finished by years end. There are over 700 pages of instructions and over 1,000 individual parts. I am currently on the third pack. I have 25 frame members to build and 17 of those have to be faired to allow for planking. Fairing the frame members refers to the mitered angles. Without that there would be a clinker effect and the planks would not lay flat. There is no rigging on this model. Thank goodness for small miracles. I didn't really know what I was getting into but now I'm committed. So, I cast off into uncharted tropical waters and voyage along with the ghosts of Captain Bligh and his mutineers. I'm building this in my fish room so that helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 100
The keel, alone, was 27 pieces. All the individual parts are direct copies from the model which is still in existence in England. Think about that. A model built in 1787 still resides in Jolly Olde England to this day. I love English history and how they've preserved it for so long. The modeling jig you see my model in is called the shipyard by DeAgostini Model Space. That's the company I bought this from. Without this "shipyard" it would be impossible to assemble the frame and keel in proper alignment. This is a very expensive kit and has blown my aquarium funds for some time but no matter. I got another 20 high and a 10 gallon last month and She Who Must Be Obeyed has decreed no more aquariums ! Ha ! Like that will happen. I may have to lay low and bide my time but my empire will expand further at some point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 97

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back