April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ReddSamurai

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Very tempted to getting a snake, most likely a corn snake
but i suppose this is a post about the morphs/colour variations
if i could find a miami corn i would get one straight away.
4199254_orig.jpg

Yes.

What else did you want us to say? Love corn snakes, colour morph, to me, is largely personal preference.

Yeah, lot of reptile fans on here :)

Corn snakes are a great choice for a first snake; not too much moody or difficult to feed :)

I had a corn snake for about a year, I thought it was very boring so I sold it to a snake lover. If you want a reptile and have enough room get some bearded dragons, my cousin has some and when he is at home they sit and watch tv with him and follow him around, its very cute :p they have their own personalities which just makes me fall in love with them!

Depends how much effort and money you are willing to put into it.

You would be looking at a 4ft vivarium and either a heat mat and thermostat or a ceramic heater and thermostat. Not to mention all the frozen mice to feed it and the research needed for you to care for it and know about it, the cycle of its shedding, when is ok and not to handle it, how to handle it and pick it up etc.

Snakes make fantastic pets but that doesnt mean they are easy or toys. There are enough snakes euthanised and in rescues because people make rash decisions without thinking about the long term. Reptiles can be a lot harder to rehome and tand to have much longer lifespans.

Ar you willing to care for a snake for the next 20 odd years? Because if not? Dont hurry into such a big decision.

ive been trained the "basics" of selling reptiles such as corn snakes. royal pythons, king snakes, milk snakes, bearded dragons, leopard geckos and crested geckos so i know more than the average joe but not as much as actual reptile owners... but i find the snakes fascinating and like holding them.

laurac94 i do like bearded dragons but the food, lighting and heating has by far the most expensive cost and being a student im a tad stingy lol

MBOU its not something ive rushed into, ive been selling them for a year. and i wouldn't necessarily need all that equipment at the start.
what ive been taught is with juvenile snakes is that the viv needs to be quite small as large areas can cause stress, and the ceramic heater again depends on the size of the viv.
i also have easy access to frozen mice and rats.

A 3 ft tank it plenty for a corn.The adult length of a snake should be the length and width added together for the viv size  A heatmat and bobs your aunty. :)

Dont ever use a heatmat without a thermostat. Thats the most important thing.

yea i wont do ill probably give it a couple months if i do decide to get one, with snakes is it best to have a thermal gradient similar to beardies...  heat mat on one side nothing on the other?

MBOU said:
Dont ever use a heatmat without a thermostat. Thats the most important thing.
how come?. Heat mat as above on one end and then the snake can switch to the cooler end. Aslong as you have a thermometer i cant see it being a prob. cheers

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back