Hitchhiking Crab Id

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

betta fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Found this little critter on my live rock yesterday just wondering what type of crab it is it's small around 5p size appears to have hairy legs unsure about body it's light brown/orange with white spots and white tipped claws :)
MobytheGoby027.jpg

MobytheGoby035.jpg

OMG good hitchhiker.
that is a emerald crab, part of the CUC that will eat algae, made popular for eating bubble algae

Excellent! that makes a change :) haven't seen any bubble algae yet so hopefully I won't! I take it this one is a youngster and will get the emerald green colourations it ages?

they get to about 2 inch and as they grow, so should their colour

Yeh looks like an emerald crab but it's hard to tell from the photo's. Here's the emerald crab care page for info
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/361893-emerald-crab-care/page__pid__3016211#entry3016211

Not all mithrax crabs will turn green like the emerald. There are also a few other colors, I've seen both red ("ruby" crab) and brown ones. I have heard about blue ones as well, but have never seen one myself.

:hi: to the salty side of the forum - how about sharing your tank and a bit about yourself, us salties are a nosey lot :rolleyes:

Seffie x

Hi Seffie, will do! just about to go to work but I'll get some pics up soon :nod:

There is also black mithrax crabs I believe.

OK! Just managed to sort out some pics for you all :hey: I decided in Feb this year to transform my 95l cube into a marine tank after doing some hefty research! I have kept freshwater fish for many years but have always wanted to venture into marines and after seeing all your lovely tanks I couldn't resist anymore! :hyper: here are the pics:
The tank
Picture852.jpg

The liverock
Picture855.jpg

Rock placement
Picture859.jpg

Coral sand added
Picture863.jpg

Tank starting to clear
Picture877.jpg

First of my clean up crew, blue legged hermit and turbo snail
Picture985.jpg

Picture989.jpg

My first Zoas
Picture905.jpg

Picture906.jpg

Cleaner shrimp
Picture1003.jpg

My first clown Perky
Picture1166.jpg

Soon to be joined by a second clown Pinky (above) it was love at first sight!
Picture1169.jpg

Feather duster
Picture1012.jpg

FTS
Picture1013.jpg

I then began adding some soft corals
Toadstool
Picture1046.jpg

Pulsing Xenia
Picture1037.jpg

Found some nice yellow polyps
Picture1164.jpg

My cleaner passed away suddenly after a moult one day and since I had a little aiptasia problem I decided to get a couple of peppermints
Picture1157.jpg

FTS
Picture1168.jpg

The tank as it is today has a new purple rock of star polyps a couple more mushies and a Yellow watchman goby that I have called Moby :fun: the yellow polyps have moved to the back of the tank they have attached on some live rock so I cannot move them to the front :grr:
MobytheGoby064.jpg

Green striped mushroom with red legged hermit plus bonus hitchiker Emerald crab!
MobytheGoby046.jpg

This was on my star polyps last night appeared to be a slow moving brown spiky slug of some sort ???? care to id anyone? the Peppermints made short work of it though so hope it was a baddie!
MobytheGoby056.jpg

And last but not least Moby the Goby he was kept in appalling conditions in the lfs being attacked by another fish with no where to hide he was underweight and had much of his dorsal and part of his back bitten off unsure of attackers id looked like a white angel fish with a black stripe :angry: he is slowly getting better though :)
MobytheGoby010.jpg

Hope you all enjoyed as much as I have enjoyed looking at all your tanks :good:

Love your tank. you huge feather duster is lovely.
I caled my clowns Pinky and Perky too!!! Sadly Pinky didn't make it the first week but Perky still going strong a year on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back