History on the point of a spade

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I stopped once and picked up a hitchhiker. He said " thanks for stopping and not assuming I'm a serial killer or something"
I replied "Well, the odds of there being two serial killers on this road are very very slim"
There was a comedian that told a joke about something similar to that.
There's a guy driving along and sees a hitch hiker. He pulls over and offers him a lift. They drive along for a while with nobody saying anything, 15 minutes goes by, then 30 minutes, then an hour. Eventually the driver says to the hitch hiker "Hi, I'm Joe, do you mind if I call you number 45?"

In 1917, the Canadian port of Halifax was partly leveled by an ammunition ship explosion - one of the largest human made non nuclear explosions in history, and the largest blast on record until Hiroshima. Around 1800 lives were lost, and thousands were maimed or blinded by flying glass. Large sections of the city were destroyed.

I was there Saturday, digging a hole for a rose bush when I dug into a layer of glass and china. My shovel came up with a piece of a teapot with the same pattern my grandmother's had. As a person who studies history for fun, and who figures things that happened 300 years ago are still in play in our daily lives, this stopped me for a personal moment of silence. In North America, we don't often stumble across the kinds of things that the old British TV show Time Team shows.

So what kinds of things have people here found around where they live? What stories do they tell? After all, history is always just under the surface of our lives.
Wow... That's tragic. I've heard of that event. Must've been kinda emotional to dig that bit of history up.
I found a partially decomposing human skull with a bit of hair and puffy white flesh lifting off the skull, in a plastic shopping bag in a pool of water I was catching fish in down south near Walpole.

I found a clean human skull and leg bone in a creek down south near Albany. A couple of years later I found the remains of a dead cow in the same creek but it was missing its back leg. Someone poached it, killed it and took its leg, leaving the rest to rot in the creek.

I found what appeared to be a child's skeleton, missing the legs and skull, in the bush a few meters in from a rest area on the side of the road on the outskirts of Armadale near the Glen Eagle rifle range. There was also a suitcase with women's and child's clothing in. And a small teddy bear. That still fuplies me up seeing that little bear. :(

Different time but same rest area and there was a car parked in the bush with fogged up windows. It was an older car and had the little triangle window in the front window. That was open a bit and flies were going in and out and you could smell the rotten body in it.

This tells me there are lots of sickos in my country and lots of bushland to dump bodies in and very few people will ever find them.
And uhh what part of Australia are you from? Never going there 🤣

And uhh what part of Australia are you from? Never going there 🤣
Western Australia mate, come on down :)

But there are way more missing people in the other states. Over east there is the Belanglo Forest, which keeps turning up more and more bodies. And there are heaps of areas to dump bodies in this country. It's basically the same size as north America but only has 24 million people and most are confined to the cities and towns along the coast. There is hundreds of kilometers of nothing between lots of towns, especially in WA, the Northern territory and South Australia. Up north there are crocodiles in most water ways and people get hit on the head and dumped in the river or by the river bank. In the morning there is no body left. In Queensland there is quite a bit of rainforest and very few people go in there so it could be full of bodies.

The countryside could be carpeted with corpses, but I'd still be more concerned about the spiders.

My wife wants to go to New Zealand, and I would kind of like to see at least a small corner of Australia if we head in that general direction. I wouldn't mind checking out the world of ANGFA - if the aquarium world had more groups like that we'd be a lot healthier.

A while back, while walking my dog, I found a laptop bag in the ditch along the river. I retrieved it, figuring that it was probably full of drug money. Unfortunately, it contained only a quarter and a couple of paper clips.
In my previous house, I was digging up a section of my lawn to build a patio and a fish pond. While digging, I discovered a rubber gas line that led to a grill that was no longer there. Cut right through it with the shovel. The next couple of minutes were exciting.

I live near the coast, and right after a storm is a good time to beach comb, have found a few arrowheads and shark teeth...and lots of rubbish

In the 1970s I was working in Saudi Arabia. I was in management with a construction company there. Among our projects was working on desalinizations plants in the cities of Al Wajh and Duba. Both were shore cities on the Red Sea.

During WWI l Wajh played a pivotal role during the Arab Revolt in World War I. In 1917, Al Wajh was taken by Prince Faisal's forces and used as a base of operations for a series of attacks on the Hejaz Railway.[1]

Lawrence of Arabia was there. While wandering on the beach I found a shell casing from a rifle from that era. It was clogged with sand and it had some patina on it. I brought it home with me. I cannot remember where I put it so I may no longer have it.

If you have never seen the movie about Lawrence of Arabia, it is full of history. That shell was a part of that history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)

edited for typos and to add the link below

https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/lawrence-arabia-man-behind-robes

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back