Hillstream Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Myeka

Reaction score
Hi! So I am new to this website and also new to owning loaches, I have a hillstream loach, I'm not 100 percent sure what happen to it but it seems to be missing half of the upper half of its tail. I'm not sure if it was being bullied or not but all the fish are getting along now and nothing else bugs it, I never noticed the bugging it before though. It also had this habit of going under some decor, so it could of possibly happen from that?
However, I was wondering if it would grow back? She was hiding for a few days but is now out swimming along the bottom and eating, nothing else in the tank is bugging her/him.

It's hard to see but in the picture with the pots you can see it missing part of the tail.

Attachments

• received_1384263851713691.jpeg
    received_1384263851713691.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 121
  • received_2245802752396827.jpeg
    received_2245802752396827.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 118
Hi! So I am new to this website and also new to owning loaches, I have a hillstream loach, I'm not 100 percent sure what happen to it but it seems to be missing half of the upper half of its tail. I'm not sure if it was being bullied or not but all the fish are getting along now and nothing else bugs it, I never noticed the bugging it before though. It also had this habit of going under some decor, so it could of possibly happen from that?
However, I was wondering if it would grow back? She was hiding for a few days but is now out swimming along the bottom and eating, nothing else in the tank is bugging her/him.

It's hard to see but in the picture with the pots you can see it missing part of the tail.
I had a simlar thing with one of my zebra danios having all its back fin off. (Alfa danio took a disliking for some reason) All depends on how much as been taken off but i placed my zebra in quarantine and treated with pimafix. Lucky enough the fins started to grow back.

So there is a chance it could

Hope it does for you

Hi Myeka and welcome to the forum :)

Loaches are nocturnal and generally hide during the day, and come out at night.

If the water quality is good, damaged fins will usually grow back without any problems.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks and the tail should heal over the next few weeks.
*NB* Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back