Hiking In The Peak District

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishprotector

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have just got back from my first hike of the year :)

A 9 miler around Castleton, Hope and then up on to the tops on Lose Hill, Hollins Cross and Mam Tor. It was a route out of the new Trail mag, but I started it near Mam Tor as I refused to pay £5 to park at Castleton. Was a nice day in the snow, but icey in places though.

Any one else been out enjoying it???

I once did the route from bottom of Jacobs ladder on a mountain bike. Up over the tops down into Hope (I think) then back around cross country and finished on the rush up Edale (as its known) back to the van.

It was between Christmas and New Year (few years back) There were six of us started,( all experienced mountain bikers) two bikes gave up, chain snapped on one, and frame broke on another. One guy gave up and nearly went hipper thermal.

Three of us finished the route, I cant remember the mileage but it wasn't to many as I remember but it took us eight hours to complete the route and another hour to drive around and collect the ones that gave up.

I wont be doing it again in a hurry. Mind you there was a good 6 to 8 inches of snow at the time lol.

Sounds like fun !! At the top of Jacobs, you will have gone past the Brown Knoll trig point. It is very boggy up there sometimes, so not suprised it was hard work lol. I have not done any biking since I got knocked off by a van last year. I am still scared to be honest with you.

Yeh I know what you mean.I have ended up in casualty before now. lol. Was hard work your right there, my brakes and gears all froze up so was very interesting on the down hills especially.

My daughter's in laws do lots of walks there.
They're trying to persuade me to join them.
The scenery is beautiful, but don't know if I'm up walking for 6/7 hours

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back