High Water Temp - How Long?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fluffycabbage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
We're on day 3 of treatment for whitespot - day one was protozin, day 2 temp went up to 30, day 3 today more protozin. Most white spots have fallen off. A few fish not particularly happy. Can i turn down the temp yet?

when I did a heat/salt treatment for my mollies when they had ick/ich... I kept the water temp up 2 weeks. (not sure what it is in C, but I had my tank up to 86 degrees f.) I emptied half the tank so the filter waterfall would splash more... and added an extra air stone for better aeration to make sure its easier for them to breathe. If they seem upset... they may not be getting enough oxygen. Best way is to empty a bit of water and add some extra airstones.

I also did a gravel vaccum once every other to every third day to make sure I vaccumed up all of the loose spores of ich/ick so they wouldn't attach to any of the fish.

after about 2 weeks I lowered the temp 2 degrees every other day. It worked. didn't lose any of my mollies and haven't had a reoccurance since. I'd make sure you give it at least 10 days, and be sure to do a gravel vaccum at least once every three days to collect spores. It takes a bit for heat therapy to kill the ick from my experience.

Isn't Protozin treatment supposed to be days 1;2;3;6?

I think its 14 days of high temp (84F, ~30C).

During this time of high temp and medication, oxygen saturation for the tank water will be lower than normal, so its best to add extra water agitation.
good.gif

well i dont have an option for a waterfall, but i do have an extra bubble tube (are bubble tubes the same as airstones ?)
I'll put that in now. Will do a vac in a min. Little worried about 2 weeks though when the corys havent even been out of their hidey hole today, and some of platies are acting weird :/

Isn't Protozin treatment supposed to be days 1;2;3;6?

I think its 14 days of high temp (84F, ~30C).

During this time of high temp and medication, oxygen saturation for the tank water will be lower than normal, so its best to add extra water agitation.
good.gif

Only if you have undergravel filtration, which i dont ;)

ok just stuck the other bubble bar in, the mollies love it lol

empty a bit of the water out as well... that will help the aeration flow through the tank easier.

that is why your fish could be acting weird. if you have the tank at normal levels (IE filled to the top or near the top) there may not be enough aeration in the tank which is making it hard for them to 'breathe'. If you empty the tank a few gallons (depending on tank size) then add extra aeration through airstones or bubble wands... you should notice them feeling a little more comfortable.

sadly, if you stop the heat therapy treatment too soon... they'll come down with white spot again. just because they don't have white spots on them any longer does not mean the ich/ick is dead. It takes time for the heat to kill it, and again you need to vaccum the gravel every few days to pull free swimming spores out.

10 days is the minimum I've read, for heat therapy to be effective.

ok just stuck the other bubble bar in, the mollies love it lol

oh yeah i know it doesnt kill them for a long time, read an article yesterday on here :good:
I just wondered about the temp, couldnt remember if it talked about that or not (im sure it did, i just cant remember :blush: )

well theyre all loving the new bubbles, even the 'odd' platies are coming round a bit :)

as far as emptying water i cant do that - i have an internal juwel filter which sucks in water from the top, and i cant drop the level or the water wont run through the filter :/ got my eye on an eheim on ebay atm though ;)

as long as you keep the bubbles going then you should be fine.

Temp wise... you can't kill Ich with temps under 86f unfortunately. At I think 80 it speeds up the lifecycle of the ich... at 83 it makes it harder for ich to attach itself to a host, and at 86 it can start to kill ich. again... you have to help with the gravel vaccum. do that every 3 days, keep the heat up and the air bubbles going... and you should see the ich gone soon. fingers crossed for you.

oh yeah i know it doesnt kill them for a long time, read an article yesterday on here
good.gif

I just wondered about the temp, couldnt remember if it talked about that or not (im sure it did, i just cant remember
blush.gif
)

well theyre all loving the new bubbles, even the 'odd' platies are coming round a bit
smile.gif

as far as emptying water i cant do that - i have an internal juwel filter which sucks in water from the top, and i cant drop the level or the water wont run through the filter
confused.gif
got my eye on an eheim on ebay atm though
wink.gif

Glad the bubbler is helping :)

As regards to the water level, if you have not already, drop the water down to the bottom of the top slots on the Juwel filter chamber and it should still work. I'm currently doing this for my Juwel Rio240, to get more flow and aeration from my Juwel 1000 pump and Eheim 2078 ;)

[/quote]
Glad the bubbler is helping :)

As regards to the water level, if you have not already, drop the water down to the bottom of the top slots on the Juwel filter chamber and it should still work. I'm currently doing this for my Juwel Rio240, to get more flow and aeration from my Juwel 1000 pump and Eheim 2078 ;)

Will dropping it just an inch or so really help? :/

You might be surprised! See how low you can drop the water and still get action from the Juwel pump...

You can always put some fresh de-chlorinated water back in if you remove too much initially
wink.gif

Ditto nobody of the goat, you can drop the water level quite a bit and the juwel filter still run, also on the powerhead by the outlet pipe you should be able to see a little bit sticking up with a clear or white cap, if you remove that and attach an airline to it so the airline is above the water level it drags air into the waterjet giving great airiation. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back