High Ph And Gh, Will My Fish? Need Help

bb1991

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i'm still relatively new to using CO2 for a planted tank. And the problem i have right now is that i just recently bought a drop checker for educational purposes and i realized that with the suggestions of how many bps i should use for my tank from shopkeepers, my drop checker is always remaining blue, so i have a few questions for people who are experienced in this field...

1.) I live in SEA, and the water here has a pH of around 7.8 and a high GH (i think about 8 or 12, but basically around there), should i just ignore BPS suggestions and keep upping my CO2 until my drop checker turns green?

2.) Is it possible that the pH in my drop checker is still blue but the fish might suffocate if i up my CO2 by too much? (Even after two hours, after the drop checker has 'read' my tank CO2 levels)

3.) For a pH and GH, level this high, when should i turn off my CO2 to have it completely efficient and no plants start starving for CO2. (I have a timer on my CO2, and my tank lights come on for 7 and a half hours each day)

4.) If i do turn off my CO2 each night, will the pH swings from 7.0 (green indicator on DC) to 7.8 be too great for the fish and shrimp in my tank?

These are all the questions i can think of right now, i might have some later after people have replied to me, so please stick around...Thanks
smile.png

Oh BTW, my tank is 200L with a sump tank, so give or take 200-220L (Yes its freshwater) with 6 t5HO 39W bulbs. Thats 234W all together (But i don't turn on 6 all the time, mostly 4)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back