High Nitrites

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, DJ, I don't know much, but to make sure your post doesn't go ignored, I'll tell you what I know. I think you need to do a water change, or you could add some of that bacteria adder stuff. Or you could wait for someone knowlegable to reply ;)

Daily water changes are needed. Depending on how many fish, & how long the tank is running I'd go with 25-50% daily until they drop to 0. If it has been running for a while, you need to look for the cause of this. Forgetting to dechlorinate water will usually cause this in an established tank. In a newer tank, this is part of the tank cycling.

Tolak

What unit of measurement are you using? I use ppm or mg/l and 1.6 in those measurements are nowhere near harmful much less fatal. Most fish can handle up to 40 ppm very safely, but I would never let them get above 60. I try to keep them below 10 ppm myself. The best way to keep nitrates down in a freshwater situation is through frequent water changes.

Iron Man said:
What unit of measurement are you using? I use ppm or mg/l and 1.6 in those measurements are nowhere near harmful much less fatal. Most fish can handle up to 40 ppm very safely, but I would never let them get above 60. I try to keep them below 10 ppm myself. The best way to keep nitrates down in a freshwater situation is through frequent water changes.
Your talking about Nitrates, DJ Fresh is talking about Nitrites. Any reading above 0 for nitites is a no go area.

Iron Man said:
IronMan. you have nitrIte and nitrAte confused. Fish can handle up to 40ppm on nitrAte but there should never be any nitrIte present. As has already been suggested, do daily water changes. Can you also post your ammonia and nitrate readings? That will let us know how your cycling is processing. How long has the tank been set up and how many fish do you have in it? Danios and tetras are both schooling fish. You should keep at least 3 of the same species and preferably 6. Also, a 10 gallon really isn't large enough for more than about 7 of either of those fish. You would be better off with 6 or 7 of only one of the species.

Well, I have 2 danios and 2 tetras, which is what the LFS recommended. I think the fish will be ok as I am upgrading to a 20 gallon I'm getting from a friend soon, so I can get them some friends. The ammonia level is at 0. I think my tank is still cycling. It's been a week, but the LFS said it was ok to put in fish because the rocks are from my friends aquarium and that they would already have bacteria.??
Thanks

The rocks will have some bacteria on them, enough to get the cycle started. It usually takes longer than a week to cycle a tank, the average is probably closer to 3 weeks.

Tolak

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back