high nitrites and nitrates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Browner

Reaction score
hi

my tank has been running now for two weeks (fish cycling) i was wondering is it normal to have high nitrites and nitrates at the same time?

i always thought it would rise, then drop, then proceed on the next part of the cycle is this normal

any help will be appreciated thanks

Yes it is normal to have both high nitrites and high nitrates while you are cycling the tank but it is important if you are cycling with fish to do religious water changes daily to keep nitrite under 1ppm and ammonia as close to zero as possible. Also I wouldn't advise a water change of more than 25% per day because in the past I've restarted a cycle that way so I figure it's a fair warning. While I would never do a with fish cycle again I do wish you and your fish the best of luck.

thanks for the reply mate

my ammonia is at 0-0.6 not sure which one, ive only done one water change as i was a bit worried about buggering up the cycling process and ending up at square one again!

Can I suggest you test your tap water? My tap water has nitrates of 50ppm sometimes. If you test your tap water,you know what you are dealing with initially.
As A1 said....you need to do water changes daily to keep nitrite levels below 5ppm and ammonia at near to 0ppm. Do you have any live plants?

* edited for a typo!!

yes i do have live plants i just thought it was strange them both as high together

i havent tested my tap water but i think that might be a good idea.

Your plants should help to reduce nitrates long term,with regular water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back