High nitrates in tap water / water changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flossybean

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking for some wisdom to help. Ok so i now have my nitrates down to 10ppm within my tanks with using nitratex. I have 40ppm nitrates in my tap water! Now it's time for a water change problem is it'll make my nitrates high again! So what do i do?
I'm reluctant to add more nitrates as all my other parameters are good now .
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Ph 8.0
Kh 6
Gh 10
My water board are coming to test my tap water tomorrow.

There is not much wisdom to share. As you realize, a water change using source water with 40ppm nitrates will raise your tank nitrates.

NitratEx appears to be a similar resin as API's Nitra-Zorb.
You could use your water and just swap out NitratEx pouches from your filter as needed to keep nitrates at bay. Be advised that like Nitra-Zorb, the use life of the product is likely compromised as detritus coats the surface of the resin pellets. Best to place it in the filter after very fine media like polyester fiber,

You might also use this product to pre-filter water for water changes. Before I came up with my DIY filter, I setup an unused 10g aquarium and used Nitra-Zorb pouches in the filter to filer fresh, clean water. I'd repeat the process a few times to get the water volume I needed for water changes, recharging the Nitra-Zorb as needed. You might use an inexpensive Sterilite or Rubbermade bin instead of an aquarium.

Alternatively there is the Pozzani filter as well as other inline nitrate filters on the market. I can't speak to how practical they are as I'm uncertain if they can be recharged. If cartridges need to be replaced, depending on use life, they can sometimes be more expensive than simply buying nitrate free spring water.

You could also invest in an RO unit, however good units can be pricey and then there's the cost and hassle of replenishing necessary minerals.

Last, perhaps you have a family member or friend nearby that has nitrate free water that you can 'borrow' for your weekly water changes. I don't know the size of your tank, and hauling 5g buckets of water isn't fun, but it is an option.

Best wishes from another hobbyist in the 'Nitrate Fight'.

There is not much wisdom to share. As you realize, a water change using source water with 40ppm nitrates will raise your tank nitrates.

NitratEx appears to be a similar resin as API's Nitra-Zorb.
You could use your water and just swap out NitratEx pouches from your filter as needed to keep nitrates at bay. Be advised that like Nitra-Zorb, the use life of the product is likely compromised as detritus coats the surface of the resin pellets. Best to place it in the filter after very fine media like polyester fiber,

You might also use this product to pre-filter water for water changes. Before I came up with my DIY filter, I setup an unused 10g aquarium and used Nitra-Zorb pouches in the filter to filer fresh, clean water. I'd repeat the process a few times to get the water volume I needed for water changes, recharging the Nitra-Zorb as needed. You might use an inexpensive Sterilite or Rubbermade bin instead of an aquarium.

Alternatively there is the Pozzani filter as well as other inline nitrate filters on the market. I can't speak to how practical they are as I'm uncertain if they can be recharged. If cartridges need to be replaced, depending on use life, they can sometimes be more expensive than simply buying nitrate free spring water.

You could also invest in an RO unit, however good units can be pricey and then there's the cost and hassle of replenishing necessary minerals.

Last, perhaps you have a family member or friend nearby that has nitrate free water that you can 'borrow' for your weekly water changes. I don't know the size of your tank, and hauling 5g buckets of water isn't fun, but it is an option.

Best wishes from another hobbyist in the 'Nitrate Fight'.
Hi there thank you for your reply. I think I'll take your idea and run some water in a big container with a spare pump with nitratex, thank you for that. Sadly all my neighbours have high nitrates too, well see what the water boards quality team say tomorrow. I've got my nitratex bag wrapped in polyfill to filter out stuff before the water reaches it so it shouldn't get too gunked up. One good thing with nitratex is you can recharge it in salt water and use it again. I had tried purigen but it did nothing.
Yes a think a pozzani filter might be the way to go.
Thank you again :)

Your welcome. The "nitrate fight" can be a tough one!

Yes, Nitra-Zorb is also rechargeable with a non-iodized brine solution. HOWEVER, the resin can be compromised if/when coated by detritus and salt water will not remove it. I learned this when I discussed my DIY filter idea with API Tech Support.
If/when this happens, you may be able to rejuvenate the resin in a chlorine bath much like the procedure for Purigen (as the chlorine burns off the organics). BUT I have not personally tried it.

When using the resin to filter clean tap (or well) water, it recharges in brine over and over and lasts nearly forever and a day.

Your welcome. The "nitrate fight" can be a tough one!

Yes, Nitra-Zorb is also rechargeable with a non-iodized brine solution. HOWEVER, the resin can be compromised if/when coated by detritus and salt water will not remove it. I learned this when I discussed my DIY filter idea with API Tech Support.
If/when this happens, you may be able to rejuvenate the resin in a chlorine bath much like the procedure for Purigen (as the chlorine burns off the organics). BUT I have not personally tried it.

When using the resin to filter clean tap (or well) water, it recharges in brine over and over and lasts nearly forever and a day.
I guess we're better treating the tap water first then like you said....... at least we can do that much! I measured my tap water and it was nearer 80 than 40 so I'll be interested what the quality team say.
Thanks again :)

I also have the very same problem although not as high as 40ppm mines at 20 but once in the tank it rises to well over 40-80ppm i have just bought some API Nitra Zorb and the Pozzani filter to do what is recommended just here, pre filter my tap water plus use the Nitra Zorb to remove the Nitrate that's in the tank to manageable levels

I will let you know in a few days how well it works out

A more organic way is to use floating plants to remove nitrates but i don't think they will suck up as much as 40ppm in a given week

I also have the very same problem although not as high as 40ppm mines at 20 but once in the tank it rises to well over 40-80ppm i have just bought some API Nitra Zorb and the Pozzani filter to do what is recommended just here, pre filter my tap water plus use the Nitra Zorb to remove the Nitrate that's in the tank to manageable levels

I will let you know in a few days how well it works out

A more organic way is to use floating plants to remove nitrates but i don't think they will suck up as much as 40ppm in a given week
It's a nuisance to say the least. May i ask where you got your pozzani filter? And let me know how you get on with it :)

Hi there thank you for your reply. I think I'll take your idea and run some water in a big container with a spare pump with nitratex, thank you for that. Sadly all my neighbours have high nitrates too, well see what the water boards quality team say tomorrow. I've got my nitratex bag wrapped in polyfill to filter out stuff before the water reaches it so it shouldn't get too gunked up. One good thing with nitratex is you can recharge it in salt water and use it again. I had tried purigen but it did nothing.
Yes a think a pozzani filter might be the way to go.
Thank you again :)
That's what I do. Be aware that if you are unable to re-charge your resin it doesn't gradually reduce in effectiveness. It will be fine for one session and the next session will be as high as the tap. I use Pozzani and always keep a couple of spares. In the UK the limit for nitrate in tap water is 50ppm - care to guess what mine is? Also the higher the nitrates the quicker the cartige would deplete. When I was changing 125 litres per week a cartidge would last me 6-8 weeks if I was lucky. Now I change much less and they last musch longer.

(I haven't reduced my water changes, I just mix my filtered water with bought RO because I have incredibly hard water).

That's what I do. Be aware that if you are unable to re-charge your resin it doesn't gradually reduce in effectiveness. It will be fine for one session and the next session will be as high as the tap. I use Pozzani and always keep a couple of spares. In the UK the limit for nitrate in tap water is 50ppm - care to guess what mine is? Also the higher the nitrates the quicker the cartige would deplete. When I was changing 125 litres per week a cartidge would last me 6-8 weeks if I was lucky. Now I change much less and they last musch longer.

(I haven't reduced my water changes, I just mix my filtered water with bought RO because I have incredibly hard water).
So your pozzani filter lasts you 6 to 8 weeks? How much do the filters cost? Hope you don't mind me asking.
I'll test my nitrates after I've run the nitratex for a day and check they've gone down.
Thanks

i am not sure how much it lasts at the moment it is due to be delivered on Friday for me, it cost only £35 which i thought wasn't too bad

I got it from there website. it dost seem to be on any other for me :(

i am not sure how much it lasts at the moment it is due to be delivered on Friday for me, it cost only £35 which i thought wasn't too bad

I got it from there website. it dost seem to be on any other for me :(
Ooh that sounds exciting please keep me posted :)

According to the website the cartridge should last 3 months but on another filters page it shows 6 months but it does depend on how much nitrate you have and how often you use it, Mine arrived today so il test it out tomorrow.

I was very surprised at how small this is and how simple it was to unscrew and remove the filter cartridge the build quality is 100%

Cartridge that it uses is this one NR600 at £13.98 isn't too bad to me esp if it does last 6 months
https://www.pozzani.co.uk/water-filters-67/product_info.html

The use life depends on how high your source water nitrates are and how much water you filter. There is no way to suggest months without knowing these variables. I once tried a small inline nitrate filter and it didn't last very long at all - maybe 50 gallons @10ppm nitrate. You'll just need to monitor and see.
------
Another point to consider is reducing the volume of your weekly water change - perhaps as low as 20% weekly. But to do that, you need to take every measure to reduce tank nitrates....

> Sand instead of gravel substrate or extreme routine gravel vacuuming.
>Fast growing (especially floating) plants that use ammonia, indirectly lowering tank nitrates.
> High quality fish food resulting in less fish waste.
> Don't over feed. Feed small amounts once or twice a day and ignore the begging fish anytime you're near the tank. Skip a day here and there.
> Keep filters clean.
> Keep stock levels low and avoid large messy fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back