High Nitrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi all, its been a while since I've been on, happy new year btw.
Anyway I done a water change the other day plus a heavy gravel clean aswell( kicking up lots of mess). The next day I tested the water and the nitrate levels were through the roof ( ammonia/nitrite fine). I'm coming to the last dregs of my nitrate bottles. Could it be i disturbed to much gravel or time for new nitrate solutions
I want to let you know, My Nitrate is 80! I have cut back to feed every odd number day. I think I need to cut back more. I have a 29 with Angle Fish and Red Line and loaches and other community, 10 gallon that has rosey barbs and 2-1/2 with a betta, neon and mystery snails. They show 80 on my nitrite, I change the filter everymonth, change the water, clean it and treat it and still have a high reading. I think I will get some moss balls and what the snails won't destroy. I feel for you.

What is the nitrate level of your tap water? How often do you do water changes, and how much? From your post it sounds as though you do water changes every month? If this is correct, you need to be changing at least 50% of the water every week. This is particularly important in over stocked tanks like yours.

Filters should not be changed despite what the manufacturers say. The media should be cleaned in old tank water during a water change. If your filters use carbon cartridges, it is best to change them for sponge, which is easily cleaned.

But I feel I must also warn you that your tanks are inappropriately stocked. The fish in your 29 gallon need a much bigger tank - red line torpedo barbs need a tank ate least 4 feet long. Rosey barbs would be better in the 29 gallon - without the fish already in there. Neon tetras need bigger than 2.5 gallons - do you have only one neon? It would be better in the 10 gallon with more neons.
I know you don't want to hear that but I had to tell you for the sake of the fish.

Thanks for the information. I don't use tap water. I use drinking water with no chemicals. I actually had more fish in the 29 gallon. 7 years I have had that tank and the red line (George has been there since day one) I actually had 3 and lost them last year. I just recently read that he "is" like a torpedo, they way they swim. The rosey barbs gave my originally Angel Fish, (I had for 6 years) stress, she would hide and stay at the bottom of the tank. I have 2 small neons in with the betta. The 2 1/2 gallon is usually fine.
I will do the cleaning and get some more plants. Only have two live ones, the rest are fabric. Don't like the plastic ones in there. I use to have a red claw crab and an apple snail about other fish. Have always had this problem. Have experience, ick, infections and fungus and bacterial problems, depending of what fish I had through the years. I have to purchase a sick tank for that purpose and for holding new fish before introducing it to the bigger tank. I am done right now adding fish to the 29, but would like to add more snails or something to the 10 gallon.
I am learning as I go. Had a craw fish that laid eggs and grew too big in the 10 gallon tank. Traded him/her in. Interesting item.
I have a great exotic pet store and knowledgeable.
Again, thank you.

All of the fish deaths in post #18 are directly attributable to what essjay posted in #17. The wrong combination of fish, too few of a shoaling species, and much too small of a tank for most of them even without the other issues. These things slowly weaken fish by stressing them, and they do not have healthy happy lives, and they die long before they should. But now you are learning and can move forward. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back