High Nitrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

westonsupermanc

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
In 2 of my tanks I have high nitrate readings any ideas on the best way of reducing them please/ 120l has a reading of 80 and 64l tank 60 nitrate is zero on both at the moment.

Some info on your tanks, equipment, stock and whether planted or not would help. Also how much/often you feed. Anything you add to your tank like ferts etc?

A water change

How much depends on how high your tap nitrates are and how high the nitrates in your tank are.

128l tank has plastic plants lots of open space and is stocked with the following: 5 Mollies 5 Barbs all around 3inches. 2 Chinese algae eaters 3 very small Angels 2 Bumblebee catfish 2 weather loaches 2 Corydors and 5 puffers. In the 64l tank again plastic plants stocked with 15 Platys 9 Bumblebee gobies 9 Kuhli Loaches and 3 Corydors and an elephant nose. I feed both tanks twice a day with few flakes in the morning then 1 cube of frozen bloodworm and a cut up mussel shared with 4 tanks. Occasional pellets for the bottom feeders. 128l tank 700 filter a 2 foot air stone heater and minor décor. 64l tank 300 filter small airstone 4 large plastic plants and heater.

Sorry to tell you but your nitrates are high because your tanks are severely overstocked. You're also making it worse by feeding twice a day. How long have you had these tanks running? How often are you doing water changes? You should test for nitrates in your tap water. I have seen many people from the UK post that they have high nitrates in their tap water. If that is the case for you then doing water changes with tap water will only help so much.

You could add some live plants to help reduce nitrate levels. There are also chemical filtration products you could buy. But really you should reduce your stock levels. You've also got a compatibility problem. The Chinese Algae Eaters are going to outgrow your tank and get aggressive. They are known to suck the slime coat off of fish. Puffers should be in a species only tank. In your smaller tank, I believe Gobies are brackish fish. IMHO addressing your stocking is the best way to reduce the nitrate level and is the right thing to do for providing the best care for your fish. Sorry I'm sure that's not what you want to here. Just my two cents :)

I'd say the same. Badly over stocked. Are your tanks cycled? What's in the other two tanks?

As well as the compatibility issues above your angels are also going to get big, up to 12cm. Two in a low stocked 128L is just about ok, as long as you have minimum 60cm depth, but with all those other fish they won't be very happy either. They also like lots of tall plants, like swords. Also cory's are very sociable and like 4 or 5 mates. Don't add any more though.

If your other tanks are relativiely low stocked then maybe move a few fish around, but not if they are also over stocked.

Rehoming is your best option really and in the mean time lots of water changes. Sorry to lay down the bad news, but do let us know :)

balajake said:
Don't elephant nose fish get huge too ?
Yes, they do, and aren't at all suitable for any sort of community tank
confused.gif

Sorry you've had so many negatives but it needs to be said. The important thing right now though is your water quality. Can you post your ammonia and nitrite parameters? Also, what type of test kit do you have? Strips are inaccurate.

Sorry again, but as things stand your fish are going to suffer. In the long term things will get very ugly indeed.

Do post again. Lots of help here to sort it out :)

thanks for the tips i will send back the barbs and mollies and turn the 128l tank into a species only tank with puffers and gobies. I have moved the elephant nose into the 480l tank and will also place the larger angel into the same tank but last time I did that the koi angel already in there just kept attacking him. Hopefully that will relieve the pressure a little. I do a water change every week of about 20% and treat the tap water going back in. I will also cut down on feeding and add real plants and see how I get on. Sorry do not have an ammonia test kit at min but will get one.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back