High Levels Whilst Cycling My Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DiscoS2

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am posting because I would like some assistance in regards to cycling my tank. Someone to point me in the right direction.

I am having issues cycling my 52L tank. I was suspicious of the results obtained from using the API paper tests as they didn't seem accurate enough so I purchased the API Master Freshwater Test Kit (liquid tests) and proceeded to test the levels.

I began the cycle on the 30th October and have been following the "Cycling a Tank" guide on this forum since then.

Today is 15/11/2013 and this is the first test I have done with the new kit. Here are the readings.

pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 3
Nitrite: 4
Nitrate: 80

Now the reason why I'm worried is because these seem high. Higher than those described in the guide anyway.

Please advise me on the best course of action

Disco :good:

Looks ok to me, a tad bit high maybe but nothing to worry about since this is just the start of cycling.
Nitrate is the least to worry about since at the end of cycle you'll be doing a large water change to counteract this.

Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites, what should happen is ammonia gets converted by bacteria to nitrites.
That means ammonia should be going down while nitrites rises.
After a while nitrites will start to come down, this is the longest waiting part, waiting for nitrites to come down!

Can I ask what did you add to the tank when you first started?
TetraSafeStart or another brand of bacteria starter?
Ammonia?

Ch4rlie said:
Can I ask what did you add to the tank when you first started?
TetraSafeStart or another brand of bacteria starter?
Ammonia?

Hi Charlie, 

When I first started I added some API Quick Start but this didn't change the levels at all and some other people on here said that I needed to add some ammonia to bring it up to 3ppm. So I got hold of some household ammonia and used the calculator on this site to work out that I needed to add 2ml of ammonia at 9.5% strength.

From then I left it for 1.5 weeks and my digital thermometer came which told me that the tank's water was 21.5 degrees. So I then turned the heater up and monitored it getting the temperature to between 25 and 26.

Sounds ok to me.

Basically a waiting game to get ammonia down to below 0.75 ppm, nitrite above 2ppm then time to add another 3ppm ammonia.
You may see nitrite going sky high then will eventually come down.

Just follow the Fishless cycle guide, things are ok for now. Keep testing every few days to keep an eye on things. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back