High Flow Rate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a few female bettas in a 75g tank. I want to put my wavemaker back in because there is too much stuff sinking to the bottom and I suspect it's causing more organic waste. My question is:

Can my females handle the flow? I know it's not a good idea with a male betta, but females have shorter fins and tend to swim better. Thoughts?

Fish like anabantids that have evolved to live in quiet water such as ponds and swamps have problems with water current in an aquarium. They are forced into it 24/7, and this can wear them down, cause stress, leading to even more trouble.

As for the issue of "stuff" try feeding less (less amount, also less often, depending). Snails (and shrimp) can be good at eating organic matter, snails especially because they certainly won't get eaten by the fish.

Female bettas can also swim faster/stronger than most male bettas, because they have shorter fins. (Shorter fins = less to drag around)

By wave maker to you mean filter?

As for the “stuff” on the bottom, do more frequently water changes and try to reduce feeding.

No, it's the thing you attach to the side of your tank and pushes water.

I understand that the high current can cause stress, but I'm very limited due to the quarantine. I cannot get more snails or buy shrimp, plus I think the bettas will harass the shrimp. I'm doing the best with what I have at home; which is the wavemaker. I'm also doing a large water change every week and it's still not helping. I also only feed once a day and fast once week.

I understand that the high current can cause stress, but I'm very limited due to the quarantine. I cannot get more snails or buy shrimp, plus I think the bettas will harass the shrimp. I'm doing the best with what I have at home; which is the wavemaker. I'm also doing a large water change every week and it's still not helping. I also only feed once a day and fast once week.

Water parameters:
ph 7
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 5-10ppm

We should look into the actual issue more. What exactly is the "stuff" that is piling up? And how much are you feeding (amount, frequency)?

We should look into the actual issue more. What exactly is the "stuff" that is piling up? And how much are you feeding (amount, frequency)?
I think it's just organic matter like detritus and poop. And my snails are pooping nonstop as well.

I think it's just organic matter like detritus and poop. And my snails are pooping nonstop as well.

Snails eat organics, so they are basically simply recycling what is already there. With upper fish like bettas, the food you feed them, which presumably would be flake and small pellet types, should never be enough that any of it reaches the substrate. One or two flakes a day is sufficient food for a fish in an aquarium. And feeding alternate days, or with a fast day once or twice a week, is not a bad thing for fish either. Are there decaying plant leaves contributing? Or something else perhaps?

Snails eat organics, so they are basically simply recycling what is already there. With upper fish like bettas, the food you feed them, which presumably would be flake and small pellet types, should never be enough that any of it reaches the substrate. One or two flakes a day is sufficient food for a fish in an aquarium. And feeding alternate days, or with a fast day once or twice a week, is not a bad thing for fish either. Are there decaying plant leaves contributing? Or something else perhaps?

Yes on the decaying plant leaves...but I'm clipping them off every time I see one decaying. I don't let any food fall, but once in awhile one pellet will reach the bottom. But again, I gravel vacuum the substrate every water change...shaking my head.

I have a few female bettas in a 75g tank. I want to put my wavemaker back in because there is too much stuff sinking to the bottom and I suspect it's causing more organic waste. My question is:

Can my females handle the flow? I know it's not a good idea with a male betta, but females have shorter fins and tend to swim better. Thoughts?
Check out the current thread "Spilt ends, etc...for related info on reducing current.

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 1.28.56 PM.png

it's the thing you attach to the side of your tank and pushes water.
You mean a submerged filter i have one but where my tank is 235litres i had one for 150litres, so it gives a nice flow for the fish but not heavy pressure.

Yes, it's a wavemaker. I'm still getting lots of brown algae even after water changes, reducing feeding, and stopped all fert dosing, and adding the wavemaker. Thoughts?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back