High ammonia

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ElegantScents.co.uk

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm currently doing a fish- in cycle. (sorry, beginners mistake!)
Fish seem happy, waters beautifully clear and daily testing every morning.
I'm on week 3 now and my tank is still un-cycled.
Nitrite/nitrate 0
Ammonia is between 0.5 and 1.

Im keeping on top of the ammonia by doing 50% water changes every other day, feeding on water change day (small amount)
Tank is well planted now, I'm just waiting for the nitrite & nitrate to kick in.

My question is.. Every other day my ammonia gets to 1 - understandable
But... Do I need to be using an ammonia block?

I'm using aqua safe on water change day and fluval biological enhancer daily.

Thankyou

What filter are you using and what size tank?
What temp is the water and do you know the PH?

I found fish in Cycle stabilised for me doing 75% daily water changes while ammonia/Nitrite was above 0. Testing every day.

My cycle I done was leave the water and filter for 2 months! Then test water you then usually see the cycle complete then go with the water changes. Weekly.

I did have some hardy fish in to help the cycle I didn’t loose any fish these where the instructions from my local aquatic shop.

One thing you can do is use Seachem Prime water conditioner. This detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for around 24 hours then they 'undetoxify; they will both still show in the tests during the detoxified period. This will keep the fish safe between water changes, which still need to be done whenever either ammonia or nitrite show above zero before the detoxification wears off..
Don't use anything which removes ammonia rather than detoxifies it (eg zeolite) as the bacteria won't grow without any food.

Live plants will help as they use ammonia as fertiliser and they don't turn it into nitrite. Floating plants are very good for this, so even if you just have floaters they will remove a lot of ammonia. They also provide shade for the fish, and since so many of the fish we keep come from rivers/lakes with overhanging vegetation, the fish would appreciate floating plants as well.
Bacteria will still grow with plants, just not as many as without.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back