High ammonia, zero nitrites

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jbsteel87

Reaction score
So the last week of August I had an ammonia spike and lost everything. I did a complete water change but the ammonia stayed high. I removed 3 gallons of gravel (leaving about an inch of gravel), treated with Quick Start and Nite-out as well as added resin and an Ammonia filter to my system. 2 weeks ago the ammonia finally got to 0.25 ppm. I did another water change to try to get the remainder of the ammonia out. Now my levels are over 4. I am using a Chem test kit from API the green is 4 and my water is turning blue but there are 0 nitrites showing in the water.

I have read the post on cycling the tank and have mostly done what was suggested. I did not add pure ammonia to my aquarium.

Well you need to wait... Sometimes up to 10 days for nitrates to start showing up. My nitrates just started showing and its day 5. You shouldn't be needing to do water changes at all during the cycle process
So the last week of August I had an ammonia spike and lost everything. I did a complete water change but the ammonia stayed high. I removed 3 gallons of gravel (leaving about an inch of gravel), treated with Quick Start and Nite-out as well as added resin and an Ammonia filter to my system. 2 weeks ago the ammonia finally got to 0.25 ppm. I did another water change to try to get the remainder of the ammonia out. Now my levels are over 4. I am using a Chem test kit from API the green is 4 and my water is turning blue but there are 0 nitrites showing in the water.

That's what I thought, but I haven't had nitrites at all in the past month.
Have you been keeping any kind of journal noting what you've done? Also what is the temp in the aquarium? Do you have a lid on the aquarium? Is there any lighting?

How long have you had your aquarium?
Is the tank and filter new?

Did you wash your filter recently?

How long have you had your aquarium?
Is the tank and filter new?

Did you wash your filter recently?
"Clean" is a relative term for filters... You never use soaps or chemicals on them EVER. It would kill the good bacteria... But you would just rinse it weekly or maybe every other week in aquarium water after doing a water change

"Clean" is a relative term for filters... You never use soaps or chemicals on them EVER. It would kill the good bacteria... But you would just rinse it weekly or maybe every other week in aquarium water after doing a water change
I know this.
I'm wondering if op has done this because that might explain the disappearance of beneficial bacteria

I know this.
I'm wondering if op has done this because that might explain the disappearance of beneficial bacteria
Ok... Just wanted to clarify.

No journal. temp is 80. There is a lid and the lighting. I have not changed the filter, it has a plastic shell (I have rinsed the residue off of it) the tank is a year old

Is there any ammonia in your source water itself, whether it’s tap water or well water?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back