Hiding tide marks.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kwi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I thought I would improve the appearance of the tank, it's a rimless design with a one piece front and sides which means at the top of the water level you get a visible "tide mark" line and condensation which I think look unsightly.

IMG_20200913_095957.jpg

So I got some 3cm wide gloss black vinyl via a local vehicle graphics shop.
You can get a range of colours and finishes to suit your decor, even neon if that's your thing ........

IMG_20200913_102028.jpg

And stuck it to the top of the tank, I left it slightly proud then trimmed it with a scalpel.

IMG_20200913_100712.jpg

And the result is this, now, obviously, at water changes I will make sure the water comes above the bottom of the tape.

IMG_20200913_101005.jpg

Great idea with the tape. I like hiding the top of the tank.

Reactions: kwi
Gorgeous :wub: really makes such a difference! What stock you have in there? :wub:

Gorgeous :wub: really makes such a difference! What stock you have in there? :wub:
Nothing yet, it's Khadens 55l and I've restarted the fishless cycle after 24 days of no nitrites, added some calcium carbonate to keep the KH up this time and an airstone as it couldn't hurt.
Plan is CPDs or Chili Ras, maybe both but I'm leaning towards a species tank. Was thinking a single Honey Gourami too but am not sure if a single is a good idea and there's not enough room for 3.

Much nicer when the water line is hidden and I agree that tide marks / hard water marks are unsightly and it’s a pet peeve for me.

Good idea in using these tint tape as it’s nice and uniform as well as showing clean lines, simple diy job.

Nice one.

Much nicer when the water line is hidden and I agree that tide marks / hard water marks are unsightly and it’s a pet peeve for me.

Good idea in using these tint tape as it’s nice and uniform as well as showing clean lines, simple diy job.

Nice one.
Thanks, this is actually the same vinyl they cut lettering from rather than the window tint, if you're lucky/good at scrounging, you can get it as an off cut for free, I have seen it on eBay too.

I'm all about the DIY, currently eyeing a larger tank locally but I'll have to build a cabinet to suit.
(I learnt how to weld so I could add shelves to a display cabinet once.)

Do youve other tanks? Looks like you've this well planted... Giz a pic :wub:

Do youve other tanks? Looks like you've this well planted... Giz a pic :wub:
No plants, all silk and plastic.
No other tanks of my own, I help my wifes Uncle with his 5 200lt tanks. And he has a bigger one on order, 425lt iirc.
I did keep Oranda 20 odd years ago and had a friend who had a large marine tank built into his house, but I think that became a victim of his divorce, and I moved away and lost touch. the tank was in the attached garage with the viewing pane visible in the kitchen wall. I can do similar with my understairs and living room............my dream is a massive marine tank stocked with local marine species as found at the north wall drop off at Rathlin Island. (I scuba dived around our coast until I had an accident.)

And here's the pic.
IMG_20200930_164607.jpg

Airstone literally thrown in, and bags of media rings are to go in the filter when I pull out the calcium carbonate and a small filter for a shrimp or QT tank.

Looks good I wouldn’t be able to tell you added it without you saying

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back