Hi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Going to that page on Severn Trent's website, there is a box to enter your postcode. I used the postcode of a high street bank in Birmingham. The bank's hardness appeared in a table

hardness.jpg

When you enter your postcode you need to look at the number for German hardness. This is one of the two units used in fish keeping, and we call is dH or dGH. The other unit is ppm, and once we know the german number we can convert it to ppm. Fish profiles use one or other of these units so you need to know the value in both units.

Hello and welcome :)

Post the pH and GH (water hardness) to allow people to hone their ideas for suitable fish. You should find these on your water providers quality report on their webpage.
Hi, thanks for that I at least now know what these mean. So my GH IS 2.86 and my pH is 7

Going to that page on Severn Trent's website, there is a box to enter your postcode. I used the postcode of a high street bank in Birmingham. The bank's hardness appeared in a table

View attachment 310327

When you enter your postcode you need to look at the number for German hardness. This is one of the two units used in fish keeping, and we call is dH or dGH. The other unit is ppm, and once we know the german number we can convert it to ppm. Fish profiles use one or other of these units so you need to know the value in both units.
Hi thanks for telling me this. So now I know my water hardness is 7 and my German hardness is 2.86. So now will you tell what the conversion is your on about?

There is a calculator section on the forum - there's a link to it in the "useful links" box. That converts all sorts of things such as volume (litres/US gallons/Imperial gallons) length (feet/inches/cm/meters) and hardness.

2.86 dH = 51.2 mg/l, also called ppm. You need these two numbers when researching fish to see which species are suitable for your water as it is much easier to keep fish which originate in water with similar harness to your tap water. Some profiles use ppm, others use dH.
Hardness, or GH, is more important to fish than pH when it comes to matching water to fish.

You have very soft water. You have a wide choice of fish - species from south America, almost all Asia and some rivers in Africa (though not the African Rift Lakes). The good news is that it is great for black neons. And with 300 litres to stock, you have space for a good number of fish.

Hi thanks for telling me this. So now I know my water hardness is 7 and my German hardness is 2.86. So now will you tell what the conversion is your on about?
Did you enter your postcode to get these values or are you using the example @Essjay gave?

Swordtails were mentioned, they are not a good fit due to the soft water.

Good catch, I missed that :blush:

Yes, the water report I posted was for a branch of a bank somewhere in Birmingham; it was an example of what to look for when you entered your postcode. (Banks are easy to find postcodes for, and I just look for one in the same town as a member gives as their location)
Of course you could share the same water with that bank.......

Hi, I currently have fake plastic plants. Is there any benefit to getting real plants? If so what type do you suggest. Can I have any plants with any fish?
Well, real plants (I assume) make the fish happier, and they help clean the water by using up the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate (it fertilizes them) - so it keeps your aquarium's water parameters more stable....also they are prettier than plastic. Cheap LED lights make planted tanks a lot easier for everyone than they used to be.

Did you enter your postcode to get these values or are you using the example @Essjay gave?

Hi,

Hi, lol I just copied what Essjay said. I have gone back to the site and it lets me view results from different time periods. ie 1 month or 12. So I opted for results over the last 12 months and this is what it said.

German = 2.86
PH = minimum of 7.51
PH = maximum of 8.60

The water varies by location and source so you will need to submit your own postcode into the Severn Trent site to determine your water hardness (GH).

It is possible that your water is the same as the example I gave depending how near you are to High Street in the centre of Birmingham.

Hi there, I apologize that I haven’t been on the forum over the past week or so. To answer you though, yes, in my opinion those fish should be fine with your black neons.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back