🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
hello, i never knew this existed!!!
i like to collect strange looking plants and succulents
and i love to propogate stuff

I used to collect unusual plants too. Unfortunately due to various people doing stupid things I have lost them all. I had 2 plants that were unknown to science and they were the only 2 left on the planet, and lost them in 2016 when they got thrown out while I was on the street.

I used to collect and breed kangaroo paws (Anigozanthus sp). There was an area of bush up the road from me and it was a hotspot for kangaroo paw mutations.

I had a Wollemi pine, which is a prehistoric dinosaur tree. Lost that in 2016 too and finally got a new one 2 years ago but it's stuck in a little pot and can't grow. :(

I had a collection of different strawberry plants, native orchids, and various other native plants. I used to collect hippeastrums and had a bunch of different colours that I used to create more colours.

I used to collect unusual plants too. Unfortunately due to various people doing stupid things I have lost them all. I had 2 plants that were unknown to science and they were the only 2 left on the planet, and lost them in 2016 when they got thrown out while I was on the street.

I used to collect and breed kangaroo paws (Anigozanthus sp). There was an area of bush up the road from me and it was a hotspot for kangaroo paw mutations.

I had a Wollemi pine, which is a prehistoric dinosaur tree. Lost that in 2016 too and finally got a new one 2 years ago but it's stuck in a little pot and can't grow. :(

I had a collection of different strawberry plants, native orchids, and various other native plants. I used to collect hippeastrums and had a bunch of different colours that I used to create more colours.
dang...
what were they like?
nice that is cool
if you mved it to a bigger pot, would the bonsai pine grow fullsize?

awesome///

Oooooo I never knew this was here either. I grow basil. I got to eat some of it for the first time today when my sisters and I made some basil tomato quiche.

That’s awful, I’m so sorry that happened.

dang...
what were they like?
nice that is cool
if you mved it to a bigger pot, would the bonsai pine grow fullsize?
The 2 plants that are now presumed extinct were small and had leaves that were about 8mm wide by 6-10 inches long. The leaves were really dark green and the plant itself looked a bit like grass. However, it produced a flower stalk that was between 4-6 feet long and every 4 inches along the stalk was a tiny (4-5mm diameter) pink star shaped flower.

I found the same type of plant about 100km north of where I got mine from but have never found the pink flower since.

--------------------
The main kangaroo paws I had were Anigozanthos manglesii, which has a red flower stalk and dark emerald green flowers. But I also had some that were the other way with a green stalk and red flowers, green stalk with yellow flowers, yellow stalk with green flowers, dark green stalk with olive coloured flowers and pink hairs on the flowers.

I had other kangaroo paws including a few natural and man made colour forms of A. flavidus, gabrielae, humilis, rufus and viridis. A. viridis is a stunning emerald green all over and is quite a nice plant. I also had the black kangaroo paw Macropidia fuliginosa.

A lot of the kangaroo paw plants are endangered in the wild and not many are kept in captivity because they develop ink disease, a fungal infection caused by too much moisture when its cool. It's easy to prevent by watering the plants before lunch time and giving them some fertiliser with phosphorus in to thicken the cell wall.

--------------------
The Wollemi pine won't grow to full size in a pot because they get huge. They also get stunted by the roots being unable to grow out and if you prune the roots you can kill the plant. So it shall remain in a pot and be my prehistoric Xmas tree.

There are more Wollemi pines grown in countries around the world than there are in Australia where they come from. And people can buy their seeds anywhere in the world except in Australia. And we are not allowed to import their seeds or the plants into this country from overseas.

Apparently all the wild plants in Australia are clones.

The 2 plants that are now presumed extinct were small and had leaves that were about 8mm wide by 6-10 inches long. The leaves were really dark green and the plant itself looked a bit like grass. However, it produced a flower stalk that was between 4-6 feet long and every 4 inches along the stalk was a tiny (4-5mm diameter) pink star shaped flower.

I found the same type of plant about 100km north of where I got mine from but have never found the pink flower since.

--------------------
The main kangaroo paws I had were Anigozanthos manglesii, which has a red flower stalk and dark emerald green flowers. But I also had some that were the other way with a green stalk and red flowers, green stalk with yellow flowers, yellow stalk with green flowers, dark green stalk with olive coloured flowers and pink hairs on the flowers.

I had other kangaroo paws including a few natural and man made colour forms of A. flavidus, gabrielae, humilis, rufus and viridis. A. viridis is a stunning emerald green all over and is quite a nice plant. I also had the black kangaroo paw Macropidia fuliginosa.

A lot of the kangaroo paw plants are endangered in the wild and not many are kept in captivity because they develop ink disease, a fungal infection caused by too much moisture when its cool. It's easy to prevent by watering the plants before lunch time and giving them some fertiliser with phosphorus in to thicken the cell wall.

--------------------
The Wollemi pine won't grow to full size in a pot because they get huge. They also get stunted by the roots being unable to grow out and if you prune the roots you can kill the plant. So it shall remain in a pot and be my prehistoric Xmas tree.

There are more Wollemi pines grown in countries around the world than there are in Australia where they come from. And people can buy their seeds anywhere in the world except in Australia. And we are not allowed to import their seeds or the plants into this country from overseas.

Apparently all the wild plants in Australia are clones.
nice!
over here there is no moisture and i have to spray the coffee plant because it is too dry here lol.
the wollemi pine looks very cool, i like its shape.
ill remember to move my pine trees, i have like 3 small saplings that i dont want to make into mini bonsai trees

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back