Hi there

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nacha

Reaction score
I came asking a question. I have a 125 gallon tank with 2 5" Pictus Catfish. Would adding an Oscar to this tank be viable?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I assume you have 2 pictus catfish that are 5 inches long and not a 25 inch or 2.5 inch pictus and there is a typo? :)

------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0. Oscar cichlids fall into this category.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Pictus and Oscars are not a great long-term combination. Try and find a less acquisitive Cichlid.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I assume you have 2 pictus catfish that are 5 inches long and not a 25 inch or 2.5 inch pictus and there is a typo? :)

------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do water changes?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0. Oscar cichlids fall into this category.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.
the tank has been set up for years and we cycle the water . I have had cichlids they lived to be about 7 yrs.. now I only have the two five inch catfish.. just wondering if I could put one Oscar in with them

If the water chemistry is suitable for an Oscar cichlid, then it should be ok with the catfish. However, I would get an young Oscar and let it grow up. They are cheaper to buy and travel better than bigger fish that stress and sulk when moved.

Pictus catfish also do best in larger groups and should be kept in groups of at least 6 or more.

With any cichlid, and especially large predatory fish, you need to do big regular water changes and gravel cleaning, as well as regular filter cleaning. If the nitrate level goes up or the tank/ filter is dirty, the fish are more likely to develop health issues like hole in the head disease.

Hi & welcome to TFF... :hi:
Colin made some good remarks. Up to you to think about it...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back