Hi - new to forum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
G

Guest14017

I lile goldfish more than tropicals... But I do have one tropical tank.
Current video

It's been set up since early 2018. I got Mary the Blood Parrot in June 2018 from Wal-Mart for $8. 3 current of the Tiger Barbs I got right after that from the same Wal-Mart. I had originally gotten 6 of the Barbs, but 6 months or so down the line - they had a vicious spawn/fight or something and I lost 3 within that week. I then replaced those 3 with 3 from 3 from PetSmart since I was told to keep no less than 6 Tiger Barbs. All has been well since.

I was looking to add a small type of Cichlid. Tried a lone Firemouth. Failed because Mary was mean. They said to get two so Mary can't target just one. I got two small but beautiful fish from the Convict Cichlid tank at PetSmart July 2019. They didn't look like Convicts but we're priced the same and the lady said they would be fine in my size tank with Mary.

A short while later, I learned that indeed they WERE NOT the proper sized fish for my tank. I didn't have unique Convicts - I had two PEARL/TEXAS Cichlids. I had already begun to like them and they had settled into my tank nicely... So I kept them. Mary couldn't figure out who to target and eventually sorta gave up.

Turns out I have a pair of them. One male and one female. The male is approaching Mary's size now. Such a beautiful fish he is. The tank is extremely peaceful. No fighting. As you can see, everyone's fins are in great shape. No bitten fins etc. Nothing. Slight chasing now and then but no damage dealt.

Mary is the boss of the tank, and the only one with any true aggression for now. Because Mary is a Blood Parrot, he is too slow and bulky to truly catch anybody else and even if he were able to catch anybody... His mouth barely closes and he has no teeth and is nearly incapable of dealing damage.

I am prepared to rehome the two Texas Cichlids when necessary. I just want to enjoy them as long as I can. I have the space for a slightly larger tank, but still not the ideal size for a pair of Texas Cichlids. Mary is my favorite anyway.

Thank you very much! Happy to be here. Hopefully when the time comes, someone here will be able to take the Texas Cichlids. Their names are Norman and Boran BTW but I rarely call them by their names. Only Mary is truly unique to me. But I would love for them to go to someone experienced and who has the proper space and whatnot to care for them well.

I also meant to add that I love Cories and find them ultra cute... And I've tried several different species from different sources in this tank over the time I've had the tank... But they tend to be bullied by the Tiger Barbs and they usually slowly seem to starve to death over the next month or two. I gave up trying to keep them. I hate when little fishies die on me.

I use Wardley shrimp pellets to feed my cory. It drops right to the bottom but the cory have no real competition for the food. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank and all the other fish are small tetra.

The Tiger Barbs were just mean to them. They bit at their fins. Stole their food. Forced them into hiding. They leave the Cichlids alone though. They seem to know who they can pick on. I currently feed mostly floating foods since I don't have any bottom feeders. I don't think the Barbs are going to allow any other smallish fish species to thrive. So I just will keep it the way it is.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Very nice looking fish!:wub:

Tag me if you ever need help with AquaScaping, bettas, or live plants! :)

Thanks a ton. No longer keep Bettas (they don't seem to ever last longer than a year). Don't have a planted tank right now. And can't keep a nice aquascape in the tropical tank due to MESSY MARY... But definitely will remember to tag if ever I want or need advice.

I hope your tank remains peaceful. Texas cichlids are beautiful fish that seem to get more beautiful as they get bigger

Thanks. I don't believe in aggressive tanks. There is no beauty in injured fish with tattered fins and beat up mouths etc. And fighting fish can't possibly be happy fish. If ever I see injury causing aggression, I know it's time to separate the inhabitants. I know the Texas dudes can possibly get aggressive as they get older. All is well for now.

Welcome to the forum! What size tank is it?

I catch texas cichlids all the time where I live and they are so beautifull especially if they are males and get the giant bumb on their head I caught like 20 today and put them in my pond.

The male is really getting to be a beautiful fish. I know the males do get that nuchal hump like flowerhorns. Mine doesn't have a decent one yet but he is still small.

Hi @mjfromga :hi: to the forum, your fish are lovely and healthy, it made me laugh with you chatting with them and having hands on also ;)

I'd have no fingers left what so ever if i did that as my fish think it's feeding time 24/7 :rofl:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back