Hi new member needing advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Brushstrokes

Reaction score
Hi all Iā€™ve just registered Iā€™ve kept tropical fish many years ago and Iā€™m thinking of starting up again Iā€™ve fancied the fluval Roma series but canā€™t deceide between the 200 and 240 the 240 comes with an external filter which is new to me any advice

I have a Fluval Roma 240 which came with a Fluval 307 canister filter. The filter is superb, easy to set up and once the tank is cycled, it does a really good job of removing ammonia and nitrites. I did add some Biohome biological filter media as I'm not too keen on the Fluval ceramic rings. Don't get me wrong, they're OK, but the Biohome stuff is far better for the bacterial colonies.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Bigger is always better, unless you move house every 6 months :)

I don't understand Fluval, they advertise the tanks as being 55cm high, then at the bottom of the page they say the tank is 71cm high. WTH Fluval?

The Fluval Roma 240 is longer and I don't know about the height, which provides more surface area for the fish, and it has a better filter than the 200 series.

I have a Fluval Roma 240 which came with a Fluval 307 canister filter. The filter is superb, easy to set up and once the tank is cycled, it does a really good job of removing ammonia and nitrites. I did add some Biohome biological filter media as I'm not too keen on the Fluval ceramic rings. Don't get me wrong, they're OK, but the Biohome stuff is far better for the bacterial colonies.
Hi thanks for the advice

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Bigger is always better, unless you move house every 6 months :)

I don't understand Fluval, they advertise the tanks as being 55cm high, then at the bottom of the page they say the tank is 71cm high. WTH Fluval?

The Fluval Roma 240 is longer and I don't know about the height, which provides more surface area for the fish, and it has a better filter than the 200 series.
Hi thanks for the advice

For me the drilled base in the 240 is a massive plus. Makes for really easy maintenance and you have minimum hardware in the tank (I would definitely go for an external heater with this).

For me the drilled base in the 240 is a massive plus. Makes for really easy maintenance and you have minimum hardware in the tank (I would definitely go for an external heater with this).
Thanks for that how do you mean low maintenance

No problems priming the filter because gravity drops the water straight down. For water changes I used to disconnect the filter and open the quick stop valve which got the water out really quickly. Because I'm super lazy I put a hozelock adaptor into the hood so I could just plug a hosepipe in. While it was filling I could rinse out the filter, plug it back in and just turn it on.

No problems priming the filter because gravity drops the water straight down. For water changes I used to disconnect the filter and open the quick stop valve which got the water out really quickly. Because I'm super lazy I put a hozelock adaptor into the hood so I could just plug a hosepipe in. While it was filling I could rinse out the filter, plug it back in and just turn it on.
Hi how often do you have to make a water change on this tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back