Hi! New here, but not to the hobby. Multiple tank syndrome is real!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

geniph

Reaction score
Hi all. My name's Geni, I live in Washington state, and I have multiple tank syndrome. It all started (again) about five years ago. I'd had a tank, a 29 long, for a couple of decades. I started out with frogs and salamanders in a terrarium, and gradually transitioned it to half-and-half with feeder fish, and eventually to a full-blown aquarium with about six different varieties of tetras, a plecostomus, several dwarf clawed frogs, and harlequin rasboras. The pleco was a common, and after about 10 years, he was about 14 inches long, lol (he'd been about an inch and a half when I got him - I didn't know!). There was a prolonged power outage during a bad cold snap one winter - I think this was 1988 - and after a week of trying to keep the tank warm with floating water bottles, etc., I lost almost half my aquarium. That really took the heart out of it for me, and I sold my tank and quit.
Fast forward to about 2017 or so. I asked for a betta setup for my birthday. I'd never had a betta, so I didn't know betta (ha) and it was only a 3 gallon. As most betta newbs do, I eventually thought "he must be lonely" after a couple of years, and added chili rasboras. Then that tank was obviously too small, so I upgraded to a 10 gallon. That was fine until I made the mistake of deciding I wanted dwarf corys - then I didn't have enough dwarf corys for them to be happy, so ... yep, you guessed it. I upgraded to a 36 gallon bowfront, which is now my community tank. I added ember tetras, green neons, neon blue rasboras, and kuhli loaches, and a bristlenose pleco (I learned my lesson about common plecos). I had the betta in that tank too, but he was a jerk to the corys once he discovered they had pellets, and after finding one of the tiny ones dead, I evicted him back to the 10 gallon, where he lives now with a nerite snail. About four months ago, I decided I wanted to breed neocaridinas, and set up the old 3 gallon tank as a shrimp tank with 10 red rilis. Two days ago, that started leaking and I want more shrimp, so I now have a 5.5 gallon as my shrimp tank and the original tank has been retired. So, I don't REALLY have 4 tanks, since that one doesn't count! :D

Welcome to the fishy forum, Geni from WA state!
I love WA state... So beautiful.
Seems like you are pretty familiar with aquariums and have a few!
Could we see photos?

I need to take some new pictures: this is from before I evicted the betta and redid my bamboo. You can see my big school of tiny rasboras in the upper left.

aquarium.jpg

I need to take some new pictures: this is from before I evicted the betta and redid my bamboo. You can see my big school of tiny rasboras in the upper left.

View attachment 165946
Love all the natural looking decor!
Is that piece of spiderwood in there new or did you find a way to preserve it well?
Really colorful tank!

Welcome! I’m in WA too :) you’re right! MTS is so real

I would say so, I started with a 20g, needed to separate some fish and went to get a small tank and ended up buying a 29g plus given a 18g an hour later, lol. Picked up a couple of 10g for betas, another for a hospital tank. then my wife found a round glow tank for free (empty and won't be used for fish) But she let me setup a 15 long in the living/dining area. Plus I have 2 55g and a 40g I am refurbishing so I can combined some of the smaller tanks... I just don't care for the tall tanks either. They make me want larger fish, ;)! So that makes 7 tanks up and running and 3 waiting. Would LOVE to do a outdoor waterfall and pond too! All in a 10 month time! I am running out of room :(

I would say so, I started with a 20g, needed to separate some fish and went to get a small tank and ended up buying a 29g plus given a 18g an hour later, lol. Picked up a couple of 10g for betas, another for a hospital tank. then my wife found a round glow tank for free (empty and won't be used for fish) But she let me setup a 15 long in the living/dining area. Plus I have 2 55g and a 40g I am refurbishing so I can combined some of the smaller tanks... I just don't care for the tall tanks either. They make me want larger fish, ;)! So that makes 7 tanks up and running and 3 waiting. Would LOVE to do a outdoor waterfall and pond too! All in a 10 month time! I am running out of room :(
I think you're screwed :)

Welcome to the forum as well :)

Love all the natural looking decor!
Is that piece of spiderwood in there new or did you find a way to preserve it well?
Really colorful tank!
Thanks! It's a new piece, just boiled briefly and added as-is. I actually got really lucky and found that at a big-box pet store. The fish all love it, as do the nerite snails.

Welcome! Nice looking tanks. It is always nice to see a betta in such a good home. :)

MTS is real, but it can sometimes work in reverse too. A few years ago I got sick of it and tore down all except my big 150g office tank. I then built a 12g long nano tank, and I've held steady with just those two for a couple years. But I really want to start an invert tank again...and my daughter wants another betta...and there's that idea for a Hainan Island biotope paludarium I've been kicking around...

This is my new 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. It isn't aquascaped at all yet, as I had to move them quickly from the leaking 3 gallon, and I wanted everything stable before I started messing it up too much. The shrimp seem pretty happy with their new home.

Attachments

• new shrimp tank.jpg
    new shrimp tank.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 26
Welcome! Nice looking tanks. It is always nice to see a betta in such a good home. :)

MTS is real, but it can sometimes work in reverse too. A few years ago I got sick of it and tore down all except my big 150g office tank. I then built a 12g long nano tank, and I've held steady with just those two for a couple years. But I really want to start an invert tank again...and my daughter wants another betta...and there's that idea for a Hainan Island biotope paludarium I've been kicking around...
Dewwwww itttttt! 🤣

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back