Hi, I'd like to update my filter.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yardsales

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wanting to upgrade my filter because I feel like it would be a great benefit for my fish.

Currently, I have a Golden Gourami, a Flame Gourami, a Rose Barb, and 2 guppies.

I currently have a TopFin 20-gallon hexagon tank. https://www.petsmart.com/fish/starter-kits/top-fin-captivate-starter-kit-5277168.html
Also, I have a TopFin Silenstream Power Filter(30-gallon).
https://www.petsmart.com/fish/filte...n-silenstreamandtrade-power-filter-40702.html

So I am just curious what is the best type of filter I could put on this tank that'll give the fish the best possible filtration? Or is this sufficient enough? The tank looks super clean and all the fish look beyond healthy. I heard simple is better, but I just want some advice from the more knowledgable hobbyist.

Here is a picture/video of my tank.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yYHxHE_A9ZqHfVSjuLqiM41Nt9rpcXGy?usp=sharing

Best Regards
-yardsales

There is not going to be any improvement over what you have; not to say it is a great filter (nor not great!) but it is certainly more than adequate for the tank.

There is a misunderstanding among many in the hobby about filters. Provided the filter is rated for the tank size (and often this does not matter either), and the tank is not overstocked, the filter is only going to do so much and no more, no matter how big nor how many filters. Filtration is limited to the biological system.

You do have pending issues with your fish though, so I will point them out so you are aware of them. The Flame Gourami is OK. The Golden Gourami maybe...this species is the most nasty/aggressive of all the small/medium sized gourami. If you lucked out with a female, she may give you little if any trouble, unlike a male. If it is a male, it may suddenly turn, as male gourami are territorial and a 20g hex tank is not going to provide sufficient space to deal with this in the presence of combative gourami.

The Rose Barb is a problem. First, this is a shoaling species and that means it must have a group. Assuming "Rose Barb" is actually the Rosy Barb, Pethia conchonius, this fish will attain three inches (some sources reprot up to six inches) and it needs at minimum a 3-foot long tank and preferably a 4-foot. It should have a group of at least six. It also needs cooler temperatures than many tropicals like the gourami, in the range of 18-23C/64-74F. You might want to consider re-homing this fish as you have not the space for a group and in time even if not yet this lone barb is going to become stressed from not having some of his species with him.

Barbs are also active swimmers and that doesn't suit the gourami. What may occur here is the barb could suddenly decide to fin nip either or both gourami, and if it does, they must be immediately separated. Removing the barb would solve several issues.

Thanks for the advice.
I have noticed the Barb does swim rapidly around the tank, almost like he is trying to get out. But the reason I opted for just 1 Rosy Barb was because I was told if I got a few of them they would bully my Gourami. And I love all of my fish, but the Gourami definitely has my heart and I do not want anything to happen to them.
The Gouramis' swim around each other all day and they get along great. They don't hid on opposite sides of the tank and interact quite frequently and I have not seen any aggressive behaviors. However I think when the Golden Gouarmi gets bigger things might change. The problem is I do not know of a way to get rid of this fish because I refuse to kill it or release it into my local eco-system. And all the fish have been in the tank for over 6 months. Except the Golden Gourami, he has been in there for almost 2 months. So I really want to keep this community intact. Do you think I can without harming any of the fish?

Thanks for the advice. I have noticed the Barb does swim rapidly around the tank, almost like he is trying to get out. The Gouramis' swim around each other all day and they get along great. However I think when the Golden Gouarmi gets bigger things might change. The problem is I do not know of a way to get rid of this fish because I refuse to kill it or release it into my local eco-system. And all the fish have been in the tank for over 6 months. Except the Golden Gourami, he has been in there for almost 2 months. So I really want to keep this community intact. Do you think I can without harming any of the fish?

The answer is definitely No. The barb must go, the described activity is exactly what is wrong, the poor fish is stressed and at some point this is going to break. See if a store will take it, some will when they know your predicament. Never release any tropical fish into the local ecosystem; not only is this usually cruel to the fish, it can cause very serious detriment to the native fauna. Tropical species have very different pathogens from temperate species (assuming you are not in a tropical region) and introducing them could literally destroy the habitat.

:S With all respect to your knowledge I would prefer if some other people could give me their opinions too. As I do not want to just give him away right now. But I certainly will if the fish is not living his best possible life.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back