Hi, I just got tanked!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blue74GT

Reaction score
Actually it was because of my Grandkids. They gave me a 5 gallon Marineland Portrait aquarium for Fathers Day. They have aquariums and terrariums, and I've always showed a little interest in them. So they thought I should give it a try. So I've been reading a lot of internet stuff and taking notes. I haven't any fish yet, because I'm patiently waiting for a consistent pH reading. This is going to be a very entertaining hobby!

well isn't that a fun gift!
Hello and Welcome!
Glad to see you doing research before popping fish into your new tank! Good for you!

First thing to do is cycle your tank.
Read this article to understand:
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
It takes time and patience.

After that has been completed you will discover what you're water readings are. Not just the Ph but the GH, KH, ammonia, chlorine, nitrate and nitrites.
All of which will tell you what steps to take next and what types of inhabitants you will be able to house.

Although...I have to warn you...5 gallons is too small for most fish.
A single Beta or a shrimp only tank are your best bets.
There are a couple of teeny fish that do not exceed 1 inch fully grown and you may be able to keep a few of them if they're all males.

Good luck and have fun!!

Yes, I'm still cycling. I bought an Internet recommended API test kit to periodically test everything. I just keep coming up with a high or low pH reading; everything else tests good. My most recent water change was a 50% because the pH was at 6.0. So it was recommended to put in a couple of live plants and test in a couple of days. I put a couple of drops of Stress Coat in a 2 1/2 gallon container.
I let it sit for a day, then did the 50%. Two days later the pH was at 7.6; everything else was fine. So here I am three weeks later, waiting for pH to get to 7.0.
And thanks for the "Welcomes"!

Last edited:
You say you are still cycling, but you don't mention how much ammonia you have been adding or where you are in the cycle. If you haven't added any ammonia, you are not cycling, just letting the tank run.

The changing pH depends on what exactly you are doing to the tank. Can you tell us:
What is in the tank in terms of substrate (gravel or sand, and what make it is) and decor - plastic, rock, wood etc.
What chemicals you have added to the tank - you mentioned Stress Coat, but anything else eg bacterial starter, ammonia, pH altering chemical etc etc?
What is the pH of your tap water, both straight from the tap and a glass of water that has stood overnight (they will probably be different)
What is the hardness of your tap water. You should be able to find this on your water supplier's website somewhere. You need to make a note of the unit as well as the number. If they give 'alkalinity' can you tell us that as well please.

pH will rarely be exactly 7.0. As long as it is stable and somewhere between 6 and 8 that's OK. Stable is the most important. And for choosing fish, you need to know both the pH and hardness, and choose fish that 'like' your water.

Well, like I said, I've been reading a lot on the Internet, talking to two different fish stores, and this is the first time I've seen "ammonia added" mentioned. Yes, I read the article, but I was hoping I didn't need to do that procedure. So, I guess I will. Maybe no one has ever really listened to me when I discussed the tank, the contents, and the procedures I've been using to get the water correct.
So when I got the tank, it has black gravel with a few speckled colors, pre-washed.
It had a tall green plastic plant (now removed), a little plastic barrel decoration, and a neon soft rubber "plant".
I put in a little Stress Coat on the first day, and let it run for 5 days. PetSmart tested it, and said buy a fish in two days. I didn't like the test two days later, so I did a one gallon change. A week later, I did a 2 1/2 gallon change. Last Saturday I put in two dwarf Saggittarias and a Hydrocotyle. (Spelling?!)
Wednesday the pH was 7.6, ammonia was .25, nitrites was .25, and nitrates were at 0.
The water hardness report (from our water district) is 284 ppm, and 16.6 grains per gallon. Their pH shows 8.1. I'm not going to do anything else until I hear from someone here. (I almost bought new filters because Marineland states that it should be changed every 2-4 weeks.)

Fish stores will never tell you about cycling. The most they are likely to do is sell you a bottle of bacterial starter and tell you that will cycle a tank instantly. It won't.

If you've read the article on fishless cycling on here you'll know that we need to grow two colonies of bacteria to eat the ammonia made by the fish, and the nitrite the first bacteria make from that ammonia. They come from our tap water but the water company adds chlorine or chloramine to kill bacteria so there are very few left in the water when we first set up the tank. We have to grow more. And in order to grow more, we have to feed the ones we do have by adding a source of ammonia.A lot of shops still recommend using fish as the source of ammonia but it is hard work keeping the fish alive. It is simpler and easier to use ammonia from a bottle.

The gravel and decor sound OK. It's gravel or sand made from coral, and chunks of coral and limestone as decor that can alter pH.

With those values from your water company, you have hard water. A thought does occur to me - does your house have a water softener? A lot of houses in hard water areas use them. And if you do have a water softener, what type is it?

As for the filter, don't change the media (what's inside the filter) as the instructions say to. That's where a lot of bacteria live so once the tank is cycled, you'll just throw away a lot of those bacteria you have just grown. All you need to do is wash the media in some tank water you take out during a water change.

essjay: no water softener, I'll leave the filter alone, and I'll start "Cycling" and stop circulating. Now I'm off to read and see about ammonia. Thanks for getting me straightened out.

I drove to a few stores this afternoon looking for ammonia. No luck, they all are scented or have other crappy ingredients. I'll have to venture further out, like maybe Walmart or a 99 cent store as some have had luck with. To be continued...
8:30 P.M. found it at Vons: 2 quarts for $2.99. Lifetime supply for fish tanks!

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back