Hi - I have a 75 gal tank , looking for help for a friend

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

sunnydragonfire

Reaction score
Hi, Many years ago I made a small pond (about 150 gal). I had Shubunkins and Sarasa Comets. I didnā€™t know anything about keeping fish.

As winter approached I realized the pond was not deep enough to winter them over so I bought a 75 gal tank and moved the fish inside. I had them for several years. The last one eventually died, it was one I raised from a baby to about 9ā€.

I kept the tank, rocks, and artificial plants but didnā€™t have anymore fish. Several years later, at Halloween, I hung up a plastic skeleton Piranha that made bubbling noises and wiggled its tail when you stepped on a pressure mat. I left it in year round to show people what I had in the tank when they asked.

A year ago I decided I wanted to keep fish again. I cleaned out the tank. Put it outside and filled it to see if it leaked as it hadnā€™t had water in it for close to 20 years. After letting it sit that way for a week I emptied it again and brought it back inside.

I set up the tank with real plants, put the rocks over a new substrate, added a sandy area. Bladder snails came with the plants but I thought they were interesting. After a month I added amano shrimp and harlequin rasboras. Last month I added some cherry shrimp and more plants.

The reason I joined this forum is Iā€™m looking for advice.

A friend of mine died last weekend in a car accident. He had three fish tanks. His wife is also a friend of mine. She is very upset and knows nothing about the fish so I told her Iā€™d help her with that. She has been feeding them but wasnā€™t really sure what or how much.

I went over to her house to scope out the situation. Iā€™m not a fish expert at all. I did bring my test kit to check out the water. Everything seemed reasonable except for the nitrates, that is through the roof on all three tanks (pretty much maxed out on the scale). Iā€™m going back in a couple days to work on water changes and getting the nitrates down. The fish all seem to be ok right now.

Two tanks are cold water and one is heated.

The first cold water tank has a crawfish and a couple goldfish. The other cold water tank looks like river fish. Not sure what kind, maybe catfish and perch. I also discovered a turtle she didnā€™t know about. I think itā€™s a small alligator snapping turtle.

The heated tank had more goldfish, tetras, danios, tiger barbs, but not sure of the rest, possibly gourami??

She doesnā€™t want these fish. She would like to sell the tanks. What is the best way to help her get rid of these fish and tanks? I have room in my tank for the tetras and possibly the barbs but not the rest or the tanks.

She lives in Maryland.

Any suggestions?

:hi: to the forums.

VERY sorry to hear of the loss of your friend! :(

There are a few options as to re-homing the fish. I will list in the order I consider best to worst.

1) See if you have any aquatics clubs in the area to see if a member would like the fish. I consider this best as these people are probably more knowledgeable as to fish care.

2) If you have a decent live fish store in the area many will take in fish that need a home.

3) Try to sell the tanks and fish as a unit. This is iffy as you probably would not be able to tell if the buyer had the knowledge to give proper care and would, also, probably cause you some time and work in helping the buyer get the tanks set up again.

:hi: to the forums.

VERY sorry to hear of the loss of your friend! :(

There are a few options as to re-homing the fish. I will list in the order I consider best to worst.

1) See if you have any aquatics clubs in the area to see if a member would like the fish. I consider this best as these people are probably more knowledgeable as to fish care.

2) If you have a decent live fish store in the area many will take in fish that need a home.

3) Try to sell the tanks and fish as a unit. This is iffy as you probably would not be able to tell if the buyer had the knowledge to give proper care and would, also, probably cause you some time and work in helping the buyer get the tanks set up again.
Those are some ideas I thought of so itā€™s good to know Iā€™m on the right track :) It is sad to lose a friend, it was so sudden.

Whatā€™s the best way to search for a local aquatics club? There is a good fish store 35 miles away but I would like to find individuals if possible first.

I would suggest searching something like "aquatic club in maryland" or "fish club in maryland". Another possibility would be to contact a public aquarium if there is one around and asking.

Welcome to the forum... :hi:
So, sorry to hear about your friend. Can't you make an advertisement for those tanks?
Anyway, a lot of strength to you and his wife with this loss.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back