Hi, here's how I got here. DIY Rimless Pea Puffer Journal.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

quinnARIUM

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently joined this forum so I thought I would share with you my story and most recently completed project.

About 10 months ago my sister got a betta fish in a 4 gallon aquarium. This sparked the memory of my first ever fish tank. A ten gallon aquarium in which we had several generations of guppies and endler guppies, a ravenous dwarf gourami, and a lonely otocinculus. I know, I know, there were so many problems with it, but I was 8 and... Yeah... It was chaos.

But, despite the hectic nature of my aquarium, I spent hours pouring over aquarium books and articles imagining how much better if a tank I could create. But alas, eventually we got a leopard gecko and I moved on from aquariums.

That is, until my sister got a betta. Still deathly afraid of keeping aquatic plants, I helped her plan out a plastic plant jungle, and when it was completed, I know it had bought an obsession. Over the next few months I researched everything I could find about aquatic plants, water chemistry, fish care, and biological filtration. And I decided I wanted a discus community tank.

As I am sure you all know, discus need quite large aquaria, and it takes a fair bit of work to convince you household to let you put thousands of pounds of water in the home.

So, to prove my dedication to the hobby before campaigning for a 75g, I built a small, 5 gal cube aquarium. I loved rimless tanks but noticed their steep price tag, so I picked up some free window glass I found on ebay, grabbed some silicon, and got cutting.

It was much harder than I thought, and the aquarium is far from perfect, but... It worked! A rimless tank for less than $10 (USD). I set it in my room, got a cheap desk lamp, and got scaping.
IMG_20210404_123035.jpg

The result was... Okay. At least for my first real scape. It was largely composed of various Anubias glued to a dragon rock mountain. I just used a fine gravel, so I primarily used epiphite species, but I thought I would try my luck with a tissue culture of bacopa carolinia (A few of them grew, but most are just surviving). I also put in some really nice looking manzanita branches we had had in the house for a while. But, when they were submersed they quickly became fungus-ridden and rotted.

Planting aside, I bought 4 Chili Rasboras a pea puffer. They get along very well, that is until I feed the puffer a bloodworm and all the rasboras try to get a piece ?.

PXL_20210404_204458214.jpg
PXL_20210404_204513848.jpg

Now the tank is doing well, as you can see I added some java fern windelov but am having a serious mulm outbreak. I put a couple of baby ramshorn snails in (expecting the puffer to eat them) but instead they grew up and have been helping the mulm issue.

Regardless, I will be rescaping it here soon and possibly moving the rasboras.

However it was enough to show my family the "wonders" of aquaria and convince them to get me a 75 gallon aquarium. I will try to add a link to it's tank journal once I start it.

Well, there you go. That's how I got into aquariums. I only have a total of 4 aquariums and only a year of experience, but I sort of dove in headfirst and spend hours each day researching and thinking about aquaria. So you'll probably be hearing more from me!

Awesome story!

I do have a few comments:

That is, until my sister got a betta. Still deathly afraid of keeping aquatic plants, I helped her plan out a plastic plant jungle,
Plastic plants should not be kept in Betta tank, because the sharp plastic can easily tear the Bettas delicate fins. If you do not wish to have live plants in her tank (completely understandable) then I would look into getting silk plants. Silk plants look the same (and sometimes better) as plastic plants, only they are very soft.

soon and possibly moving the rasboras.
I would move them to another tank if possible. Pea Puffers should be kept in a species-only tank.

So, to prove my dedication to the hobby before campaigning for a 75g, I built a small, 5 gal cube aquarium. I loved rimless tanks but noticed their steep price tag, so I picked up some free window glass I found on ebay, grabbed some silicon, and got cutting.

It was much harder than I thought, and the aquarium is far from perfect, but... It worked! A rimless tank for less than $10 (USD). I set it in my room, got a cheap desk lamp, and got scaping.
That's really cool. Rimless tanks are super expensive, probably because people like them so much, and they are in high demand. It's cool to managed to build one for so cheap!

-----

All of the above was said to help you learn, not to tear you down. Hope to be seeing you around the forum! :) :fish:

Simple & beautiful tank!

By the way, I realized that you didn't put any rubber mat or foam under the tank.
I guess it might be late to tell you now unless you can drain out the water to put the mat under the tank.

Simple & beautiful tank!

By the way, I realized that you didn't put any rubber mat or foam under the tank.
I guess it might be late to tell you now unless you can drain out the water to put the mat under the tank.

Ah yes, I forgot about this. Tanks that don’t have the black rim (most common store bought ones do have it) can easily get broken or scratched, if they don’t have a pad. That’s why companies like Fluval include a foam sheet to go under their tanks.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Most of the plants in the betta tank are silk but I will switch out the rest. And don't worry, there is a pad underneath, just a white one so it is hard to see ?.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back