Hi from Northern Ireland

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kennie

Reaction score
Hi,

First time beginner with fluval rio 200, internal pump and heater but not built in.

Setup tank and water was clear, washed sand and ornaments put in and bit cloudy but nothing dramatic after 24 hours then yesterday got 1 piece of wood, soaked it for 15 minutes in boiling water, took out scrubbed in cold water then put in tank and this happened.

Used filter aid at 11am, it is now 2pm.....ive taken out wood to soak again, anybody any ideas how i can get back to clear and reduce tannins please?

Thanks

Seen that but couldnt find it locally and wasnt sure how to do it so just took water totally out and started again

Welcome. Learn to love tannins. A lot of fish will love you for that !!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Welcome. Learn to love tannins. A lot of fish will love you for that !!

I honestly wouldnt mind it but the wife is totally against it, maybe her mind will change over time but she wants crystal clear tank as its in the living room

Hi,

First time beginner with fluval rio 200, internal pump and heater but not built in.

Setup tank and water was clear, washed sand and ornaments put in and bit cloudy but nothing dramatic after 24 hours then yesterday got 1 piece of wood, soaked it for 15 minutes in boiling water, took out scrubbed in cold water then put in tank and this happened.

Used filter aid at 11am, it is now 2pm.....ive taken out wood to soak again, anybody any ideas how i can get back to clear and reduce tannins please?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum, Kennie! As one person has already said, activated carbon is the best way to remove the tannins, but if you can't get hold of it then repeated water changes will eventually clear up the water.

I honestly wouldnt mind it but the wife is totally against it, maybe her mind will change over time but she wants crystal clear tank as its in the living room
Understood! You're under (some) pressure hahahaha

Understood! You're under (some) pressure hahahaha

Some is an understatement haha....took over the bathroom today for my drift wood and think the fish is appropriate for a weight.

Photo makes water look clear but had some tannins in it still, keep boiling water in the bath with it, refilling everybhour with 42 degrees water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 102
Welcome to the forum, Kennie! As one person has already said, activated carbon is the best way to remove the tannins, but if you can't get hold of it then repeated water changes will eventually clear up the water.

I can get carbon after 1 hour drive, not sure were to put it or how you use it hence why i just emptied full tank and started again

Can you get some carbon posted to you? I usually soak wood in a beer bucket until it sinks. As above tannins are good for the fish, yet good to keep the peace ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back