Hi from Newcastle

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Thanks Essjay

I was thinking that the water would be too hard for the Tetras - Neon, Glowlight, Cardinals that I intend to stock my tank with once this is setup.

Welcome to the forum, Dale.
If you do go for tetras (my favorite fish to keep), I'd forget about the neons, the cardinals look somewhat similar (prettier, IMO), and are usually much more hardy than neons...you've many other tetra options

Welcome to the forum, Dale.
If you do go for tetras (my favorite fish to keep), I'd forget about the neons, the cardinals look somewhat similar (prettier, IMO), and are usually much more hardy than neons...you've many other tetra options
Rummynose tetras would be my #1 pick. Very active and full of character.

'Slightly hard' is not too high for any of the tetra species mentioned. 'Slightly hard' is between 5.6 and 8.4 dH. That is well within the recommended ranges.

Neon tetra - 1 to 12 dH
Cardinal tetra - 1 to 12 dH
Glowlight tetra - 2 to 15 dH

The rummy nose tetras suggested by PlasticGalaxy need 2 to 15 dH, so they are suitable as well.

Water companies always make water sound harder than it really is.

'Slightly hard' is not too high for any of the tetra species mentioned. 'Slightly hard' is between 5.6 and 8.4 dH. That is well within the recommended ranges.

Neon tetra - 1 to 12 dH
Cardinal tetra - 1 to 12 dH
Glowlight tetra - 2 to 15 dH

The rummy nose tetras suggested by PlasticGalaxy need 2 to 15 dH, so they are suitable as well.

Water companies always make water sound harder than it really is.
Thanks, again.
I kept several tropical tanks in the 70s & 80s. Things have changed a lot since then so I'm swotting up on current info etc.
With retirement this year I've been bitten by the bug for fishkeeping again.

Good day all....
Quick post to say hi and introduce myself.
My name is Dave and i have very recently set up my first ever tank.
It's a Juvel 180 and i'm planning to stock with freshwater tropical fish once cycling is complete.
I'm looking forward to learning from the forum, and may have a few questions in near future
All the best.
Dave.
Welcome, I have the Jewel 240

Good day all....
Quick post to say hi and introduce myself.
My name is Dave and i have very recently set up my first ever tank.
It's a Juvel 180 and i'm planning to stock with freshwater tropical fish once cycling is complete.
I'm looking forward to learning from the forum, and may have a few questions in near future
All the best.
Dave.
Hi Dave! What sort of fish are you looking at getting? Want a guppy??

Thx for the welcome everyone ?.
I'm enjoying the new tank. It cycled in just over a week using dr. Tims and i started stocking it 3 weeks back.
Im planning to stick to smaller fish and so far have Ottos, cardinal Tetras, harlequin rasboras and lemon Tetras.
They are all doing well.
Lemon Tetras took a bit of coaxing to feed, but are now eating after coaxong them with bloodworm initially.

Just installed an air pump . Might have to make a plan as its quite noisy.
Any recommendations for a quiet pump definitely appreciated ?

Anyhow, hope you all have a splendid bank holiday!!!!

Do you mean the pump itself is noisy or the bubbles?

For noisy pumps, stand them on something like an old towel. When I used one, it sat on an old filter sponge. A lot of the noise is vibration if it's on a solid surface.

Do you mean the pump itself is noisy or the bubbles?

For noisy pumps, stand them on something like an old towel. When I used one, it sat on an old filter sponge. A lot of the noise is vibration if it's on a solid surface.
Thx for your reply.
It's the actual pump itself. I tried covering it, wrapping it etc just see if it was possible to quieten it....Thats not a good permanent solution obviously 😊.
Anyhow it was still very noisy so I'm looking for a possible replacement if I can find a quieter one👍

I found the Eheim pump was pretty quiet - certainly a lot quieter than the first one I had. It also has a hanging loop if there is anything you can hang it from.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back