Hi Folks. New Guy trying to Re-Learn Aquariums

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PADogman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm someone who used to have tanks, a reef tank, saltwater tank, several freshwater before that... but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away. And for someone starting out from scratch after not having aquariums for 20 years or so, a lot has changed.

I'm hoping I can be the new guy asking questions (in the right forums of course) and get some good interaction so I can ultimately decide what I want to buy to get started in this great hobby again.
There are already several threads I've taken note of :)

Glad to be here!

Your account has now been approved. Sorry for delay. Your question in the other area of our forum should get responses soon. Enjoy TFF and be sure to vote in our Pet of the Month contest.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

I'm someone who used to have tanks, a reef tank, saltwater tank, several freshwater before that... but that was a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away. And for someone starting out from scratch after not having aquariums for 20 years or so, a lot has changed.

I'm hoping I can be the new guy asking questions (in the right forums of course) and get some good interaction so I can ultimately decide what I want to buy to get started in this great hobby again.
There are already several threads I've taken note of :)

Glad to be here!
A warm welcome to the forum, so what kind of tanks are you looking at to start off .

Welcome to the forum.
Recently came back to the hobby myself.
So many things have changed and this forum has been a great source of advice for me.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

@Dajuyu , I'm open to suggestions. I posted a thread in one of the forums. Freshwater for sure, and planted, but tank(s) I'm waffling back and forth on size and number of. And rimless or framed.

I most certainly suggest leaning towards a bigger size tanks as smaller tanks is hard to control the water quality and you can add in the numbers more comfortably in big size tanks.

I was thinking something in the 20gal range for a small tank.

20 gallons should be fine in terms of maintaining a cycle, I think this is more difficult in 5 gallons and under. Larger or more active fish need more room. If you already have fish in mind, check out their requirements on here:

Thanks.
Still trying to decide on fish. Some type of community tank.

Hello there!

Welcome to community, you've definitely come to the right place, I wont go anywhere else with my fish related queries.

That's the beauty of this hobby, there are so many options available that we can get lost in what we want. I hope you find your dream tank, if you're looking at community tanks I find that shoals as more prettier to look at than a "centre piece fish" watching all the shimmers of their scales is therapeutic and entertaining at the same time.

Each to their own! Keep us updated on your thoughts and plans though!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back