Hi Everyone

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dracgg

Reaction score
Hi
I'm new to keeping tropical fish. I have a 100l tank and currently have male guppies, dalmation Mollies, cherry barbs and harlequins. I am looking forward to being part of the online community and getting advice from all you seasoned fish owners out there

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Something you can do while learning about the fish is check the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply.
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have spare time. I recommend printing it out and reading it in bed to help fall asleep :)

Thanks for this I have test strips, and test water weekly and I think it is fully cycled now the nitrates and nitrites have been 0 or just above for a couple of weeks now. I also do a 25 to 30% water change and gravel wash weekly I'm hoping I'm on the right track

Thanks for this I have test strips, and test water weekly and I think it is fully cycled now the nitrates and nitrites have been 0 or just above for a couple of weeks now. I also do a 25 to 30% water change and gravel wash weekly I'm hoping I'm on the right track
The strips are OK for now, but you really need a liquid test kit, I'd advise getting one ASAP...many of us use this one:

Welcome
I’m new here myself but started keeping fish back in the late 70’s before I took a break.
Lot’s has changed over the years, cycling a tank was never anything I’d heard of back then 😮
I would echo what Slaphappy said regards the API Master Test Kit though, from all the reading I’ve done, it appears to be the ‘go to’ test kit, I have one myself 😉
You’ll love it here, so many helpful and knowledgeable members 👍

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back